• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Sound of Summer 2016

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sound of Summer 2016

Played a student union gig the other night and I have to say the response of the crowd was less than flattering. We always open with a cover of Mike and the Mechanics' Over My Shoulder at the end of which I do a little pirouette and fling my arms out to accept the rapturous applause.

On this occassion I was met by a wall of silence.

Still, I can never actually see the crowd what with the glare of the spotlight in my face so I can only imagine they were enthusiastically doing "Jazz Hands".

Nonetheless, we decided that this summer would be a perfect time to relaunch the band and target a new audience hence "Camp it up with Scroatman '16" where we shall be treating local campsites to a bit of fun after lights out.

The idea is to wheel in the band on the band on a back of a flatbed truck once "Goodnight Campers" has gone out over the tannoy and launch into "No Jacket Required", completely unplugged, in its entirety with the spotlights from my mate Tony's pickup providing the lighting.

It'll be like Bratton Camp '85 all over again

I can imagine it now, within seconds of starting our set there will be an audible

pzzzZZZZZZZP!!...........pzzzZZZZZZZP!!.......pzzz ZZZZZZZP!!...pzzzZZZZZZZP!!..pzzzZZZZZZZP!!.pzzzZZ ZZZZZP!!pzzzZZZZZZZP!!pzzzZZZZZZZP!!

Whats that?

Ronnie on percussion? Nope. Not even the crickets chirping in the grass but the sound of the female campers unzipping themselves from their nylon coccoons to emerge in their nighties to witness a maestro plying his trade.

As it happens, I know the farmer whose land adjoins Mike Eavis' farm in Pilton so we may even be doing a little nocturnal turn from the other side of the hedge at this year's Glastonbury.

I can't wait - reckon I'm gonna be walking bandy legged by the time summer's out
    Last edited by Martin Scroatman; 8 April 2016, 12:38.

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I've got 4 gigs lined up this month.
      2 in the same venue on the same night - one where I'm BVs/guitar in one band and the other where I'm lead vocals in another band.

Charity evening, so I keep singing until people donate enough to shut me up.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I miss Gricer.

Comment

Sounds good. Been attempting to learn the guitar for 50 years now. Poor little thing occasionally gets pulled out of the attic on yet another new year's resolution and is usually back up there by Feb.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Sounds good. Been attempting to learn the guitar for 50 years now. Poor little thing occasionally gets pulled out of the attic on yet another new year's resolution and is usually back up there by Feb.
            Two years in the making but the Fender Electric XII project is getting nearer completion......

Candy Apple Red, sexy.....

Comment

Working...
            X