• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Core.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Core.

Memory, that is.

And a mercury delay line.

And a Williams Tube.

Them were the days.

Stone me.

How to make the Apollo Guidance Computer.

LOL memory* at 21:00 ish.

*"Little Old Lady" memory.

It's quite striking how all the ladies are referred to as "girls".

I am now, officially, gobsmacked.

Paper tape, punched cards (Proper IBM ones in a proper IBM card reader), wire wrap machine, core memory, rope memory, stunning.

How far we've* come in half a century.

*It's all down to us GALs of course, you hu-mans would still be banging rocks together, left to your own devices.

More on Core Rope Memory at 22:00 ish.

A little earlier, one of the software guys remarks that they were just making it up as they went along.

Computer spec at 17:00 ish.

And this is where it all started: the traitorous 8.

You can all thank Shockley for being such a crap manager.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    He'll be pleased to know the software development industry has continued in this proud tradition to the present day
    Indeed.

The making of that core rope memory still has me fascinated. Those "girls" were really talented.

In one of those vids, someone asks why the computer was potted.

The answer being that originally they weren't but on one of the orbital trials, someone managed to urinate on an unpotted computer, which had dire results on its operation.

And here's another page about Core Rope Memory with clearer pics of the rope itself.

http://drhart.ucoz.com/index/core_memory/0-123

There's PDP8, and PDP11, ASR33 and all sorts in this one:

Last edited by zeitghost; 9 June 2017, 10:09.

I feel old
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Currently reading Turing's Cathedral, by George Dyson. Covers a lot of this stuff. Fascinating.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        A little earlier, one of the software guys remarks that they were just making it up as they went along.
        He'll be pleased to know the software development industry has continued in this proud tradition to the present day

Comment

Working...
        X