• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tory MP says non-wealthy are "low-achievers"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tory MP says non-wealthy are "low-achievers"

Sir Alan Duncan: Cameron's critics 'hate anyone with hint of wealth' - BBC News

Quite right too. Corbyn being a case in point.
    The politics of envy is driving the left in the UK nowadays.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Plenty of people from all incomes hate DC.

A great pity that to be an achiever money is the only objective.

Comment

hmm but is it.

I always seem to struggle with this sort of thing.

Are they 'poor' because they are lazy and feckless

Or has the upbringing they have had made them lose and form of drive or ambition and so they are poor, lazy and feckless.

Is the only way to get out of this to recognise that you may not ever be rich but if you instil the right attitude in your kids they could be?

So almost this generation gets nowt - but your grandkids will?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        A great pity that to be an achiever money is the only objective.
        It isn't, however as we see from AssGuru's attitude working hard and looking after your family isn't enough.

90% of people won't earn great money, 10-30% of those will be a net drain on society the remaining 10% who push themselves and 1% who are either lucky or clever or both will pay for most of it.

What most sensible people want is for everyone to try their best and avoid being carried, in return we are supposed to be willing to pay more tax and support the lower earners. This of course is spoiled by those who evade tax and immoral tax avoidance schemes that need to be closed.

Much of the reason for being a top 10% is attributable to chance. Your Daddy paid for you to go to the right School & University. Someone inspired you to make yourself special (surprising how rare that is) and the planets aligned so you could. You smelt an opportunity. etc
        Last edited by vetran; 12 April 2016, 09:40.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          hmm but is it.

I always seem to struggle with this sort of thing.

Are they 'poor' because they are lazy and feckless

Or has the upbringing they have had made them lose and form of drive or ambition and so they are poor, lazy and feckless.

Is the only way to get out of this to recognise that you may not ever be rich but if you instil the right attitude in your kids they could be?

So almost this generation gets nowt - but your grandkids will?

They could also be "poor" because they made bad decisions, bad investments or because their parents didn't give them a shedload of cash, for example. There's plenty of reasons why someone might be poorer than you.
          To say that the only reason someone is "poor" is either because they were not brought up with drive or they are lazy is a rather narrow-minded view.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

99% of "wealth" in the UK has been driven by incredible rise in house prices.

You can have a lazy low achiever who bought a house near London 20 years ago who is by all measures wealthy. He didn't work particularly hard, paid the mortgage over 20 years and is now sitting on £1m in equity.

Another person didn't buy, worked his arse off for 20 years, tried to start a business that failed, got divorced and lost 1/2 of what he did have and now has pretty much feck all to show for it.

It's almost a simple as:

High achievers bought property in the SE and didn't get divorced.
            Low achievers didn't buy property in the SE and got divorced.

Comment

What is missed is the criminal waste of money by government largely because of the behaviour and cynicism of the left. Tax is regarded by the left as a punishment to people for being too rich. what happens to that tax is of minor importance despite the fact that they bang on about being motivated by a desire to help others (a total lie of course). The Tories are quite wrong to write people off as under achieving as many of those on low incomes carry out some of the most important jobs that most of us take for granted - nurses, teachers, care worker, police, paramedics.

The criminality is the general lack of performance and quality of service from the public sector caused by the iniquity of the outcomes of this behaviour. You only have to look at the NHS and the bleeding crying that goes on with "support our NHS". The NHS should not be politicised in this way, instead it should be run properly and efficiently and if that means privatising parts of it then so be it. The same should apply to education and all public services because if they were run properly rather than as totems of left wing wailing then people would not need to earn large amounts of money to enjoy a decent standard of living.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                It's almost a simple as:

High achievers bought property in the SE and didn't get divorced.
                Low achievers didn't buy property in the SE and got divorced.
                Setting aside the divorced stuff, yes that's how it is.
                But then you have to ask what sort of laziness causes someone not to buy houses(s) when they were cheap.
                When I started working in the 90s, I drove a crap car for years (when I had a car at all), lived in a flat without much furniture, didn't take a holiday - that's because every single penny I earned went on property.
                Some people I know earned as much or more as me but lived the high life. Fook them, I say.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Setting aside the divorced stuff, yes that's how it is.
                  But then you have to ask what sort of laziness causes someone not to buy houses(s) when they were cheap.
                  When I started working in the 90s, I drove a crap car for years (when I had a car at all), lived in a flat without much furniture, didn't take a holiday - that's because every single penny I earned went on property.
                  Some people I know earned as much or more as me but lived the high life. Fook them, I say.
                  Nice to see it didn't turn you into a nasty self centred at least.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Nice to see it didn't turn you into a nasty self centred at least.
                    That's right it didn't ...
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X