• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PEO - Professional Employment Organisations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PEO - Professional Employment Organisations

I note that two big brolly companies, Brookson and Danbro has set up new companies, saying that they offer an alternative way to work.

Anyone come across these and what their idea is? I guess they are trying to get around the restrictions on umbrella company expenses that came into force on 6th April.

Their self made body, FCSA seems to be plugging them, not very independent.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

So a brolly that you can pay expenses on?

I assume they are going to try and model themselves on the same model as the big consultancies, I assume these extra features will come at a price
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Seems like a US model:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profes...r_organization

Sounds like contracting out of HR from the client to the PEO. Can't see how this would change anything w/r to umbrella expenses.

Edit: probably just a way for them to bleed more money from their clients.
      Last edited by jamesbrown; 12 April 2016, 19:17.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Seems like a US model:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profes...r_organization

Sounds like contracting out of HR from the client to the PEO. Can't see how this would change anything w/r to umbrella expenses.

Edit: probably just a way for them to bleed more money from their clients.
        If some of the supervision, direction and control is done by your "umbrella employer" does that mean you are their employee and therefore can be paid expenses?

I can see a rapid court case but as HMRC will only see the truck in 18 months time it's going to give them a 1 to 2 year market.

In other news I believe parasol may be using a similar trick
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Jesus here we go again, why can't these companies accept the way the land lies and work within the spirit of the law, cue another load of contractor misery a few years down the line when HMRC come calling...

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
            Jesus here we go again, why can't these companies accept the way the land lies and work within the spirit of the law, cue another load of contractor misery a few years down the line when HMRC come calling...
            Well it wasn't worth explaining what is going to happen to the other contractor on this site.

Granted neither of us are under any supervision, direction and control but he is using an umbrella and I'm shocked at parasol's approach.

Comment

It's PR bollocks. Brookson, for example, say they will only allow legitimate receipted and verifiable expenses, and only subsistence up to £5 or £10 a day as appropriate. In other words, if HMRC don't allow it - for example, commuting expenses - then Brookson won't be paying it.

AKA business as usual but under a new name to trap the unwary,
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                It's PR bollocks. Brookson, for example, say they will only allow legitimate receipted and verifiable expenses, and only subsistence up to £5 or £10 a day as appropriate. In other words, if HMRC don't allow it - for example, commuting expenses - then Brookson won't be paying it.

AKA business as usual but under a new name to trap the unwary,
                I seem to remember TF insisting that we only talk about first hand experience.

I have just seen a contractor using an umbrella fill in this weeks expenses all of which should have been disallowed so some places definitely are not playing to the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I have just seen a contractor using an umbrella fill in this weeks expenses all of which should have been disallowed so some places definitely are not playing to the rules.
                  I can claim what ever I want, doesn't mean it will be approved or I will get the money
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    I'm a contractor, I don't use or need an umbrella to hold my hand. However, that was taken from Brookson's own explanation of their new service structure.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X