• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MVL and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MVL and IR35

Hi,

Last year I shut down my LTD via MVL. I still hold QDOS TLC35 IR35 insurance which expires next month.

Is it possible for HMRC to open an IR35 enquiry after my company has been shut down by MVL?

Close Your Company, Avoid IR35? - Contractor Weekly
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That's a good, balanced article.

Also there was concern that a company simply going into liquidation would lead to high risk of IR35 investigation (on a "if we don't do it now we'll never be able to" logic). Not once have MVL Online seen a new enquiry started following a company going into liquidation, and that's based on several hundred cases.

Obviously doesn't guarantee it'll never happen...but as suggested in the article, it certainly doesn't seem to be high likelihood.

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
        Is it possible for HMRC to open an IR35 enquiry after my company has been shut down by MVL?
        Yes, it's possible.

If I was in your position, I'd personally pay for another year of IPSE membership (probably only at the standard level) for peace of mind. You can find out more about what IPSE does here.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Yes, it's possible.

If I was in your position, I'd personally pay for another year of IPSE membership (probably only at the standard level) for peace of mind. You can find out more about what IPSE does here.
          Why only a year? Also the link that NLUK posted is 4 years old. How sure are we it's still relevant?

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
            Why only a year? Also the link that NLUK posted is 4 years old. How sure are we it's still relevant?
            Whether it is or isn't is one question. Is it worth spending a touch over £200 to be sure is another. I know the answer to the latter.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Whether it is or isn't is one question. Is it worth spending a touch over £200 to be sure is another. I know the answer to the latter.
              Given the government's and HMRC's new stance on time travel, it might be the case that you should keep IR35 insurance forever.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                After a year, I'm told (from anecdotal evidence only) that the chances of an investigation drop further.

HMRC could easily open an investigation for six years. IPSE Standard is about £15 a month, IPSE Plus is £24 a month (including VAT), and you'll be certain of having expert investigation cover if HMRC come calling.

At that price I'd probably do it for more than a year, to be honest.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  Given the government's and HMRC's new stance on time travel, it might be the case that you should keep IR35 insurance forever.
                  That's what I meant in my post - there is no magic cut off after a year (unless there is and my accountant hasn't told me )

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    Well, there is that, yes Retrospective legislation is always a possibility as we've seen - in which case £15 a month doesn't look that bad
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X