• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Law Of Unintended Consequences

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Law Of Unintended Consequences

Item on Channel 4 News last night about the National Living Wage. Apparently BigCos are restructuring their contracts to cut the weekend and overtime rates for staff.

Meanwhile, the high rate is drawing in hundreds of thousand economic migrants from Italy, Spain and Portugal.

Who could ever have predicted that would happen?

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    Item on Channel 4 News last night about the National Living Wage. Apparently BigCos are restructuring their contracts to cut the weekend and overtime rates for staff.

Meanwhile, the high rate is drawing in hundreds of thousand economic migrants from Italy, Spain and Portugal.

Who could ever have predicted that would happen?
    Prolly explains why all the permies at clientco are moaning about losing overtime and on call soon...

Comment

I am sure before long they will all have zero hour contracts.

The original aim of the minimum wage was good. So now they need new laws to stop the side effects. End of zero hour contracts. And an end to immigration.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I am sure before long they will all have zero hour contracts.

The original aim of the minimum wage was good. So now they need new laws to stop the side effects. End of zero hour contracts. And an end to immigration.
        More laws to fix the problems with the existing laws?

How can an hourly rate possibly be a "living wage"? You don't only need to live when at work. It makes no sense at all.

I have to admit I was against the minimum wage, but I think I was wrong. It was always going to encourage immigration and youth unemployment, but probably is a good thing overall, and you've got to laugh at how this increase has made Labour look redundant.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Another issue is that it applies to 25+ age only. So many businesses such as pubs, restaurants, etc, will now just prioritise hiring under 25s for bar-staff, waiters, etc.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Another issue is that it applies to 25+ age only. So many businesses such as pubs, restaurants, etc, will now just prioritise hiring under 25s for bar-staff, waiters, etc.
            Nice

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
              Item on Channel 4 News last night about the National Living Wage...Meanwhile, the high rate is drawing in hundreds of thousand economic migrants from Italy, Spain and Portugal.
              What? Since it was announced in the budget? That was quick. But I thought all these economic migrants were attracted by the generous benefit system. Now you're telling me they all want to work?!
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                What? Since it was announced in the budget? That was quick. But I thought all these economic migrants were attracted by the generous benefit system. Now you're telling me they all want to work?!
                Benefits and work aren't mutually exclusive things.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  Benefits and work aren't mutually exclusive things.
                  unless you are a leftie
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I came here as an immigrant. I steal your jobs, your wages/day rates (not your women, all of them are over 85 kg )
                    Never been on benefits. Always paid taxes.
                    Any problem with this?

Comment

Working...
                    X