• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Conracts in Manila

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conracts in Manila

Anyone done it?

Rate is $ and higher than curent rate by a couple hundred however with some negotiation (niche market) would have to be higher. I dont have the foggiest about tax in Asia. Furthest i have gone from London was Osterley

I do not see this as something i am seriously considering but rate is good and they are throwing in accommodation. Could be a great experience or a complete nightmare.

If they throw in the h00kers as well, I'd be on my bike.

Comment

And ladyboys
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
        If they throw in the h00kers as well, I'd be on my bike.
        ^This

Comment

I wouldn't do it. Think Faqqer was out there a while so may have some insights for you.

Comment

I asked all the boring question to agent about tax, LTD company and currencies etc. I have imagined a James Bond style penthouse with a coke midget and trannies on tap! Now thats what you need to come home to after a hard day in the office...

Comment

I know of a ClientCo who recently outsourced their IT support to an Indian company who have outsourced it to a crowd in Manila. The problem is that the crowd in Manila have little knowledge of certain systems and are now trying to get Brits to join them on a "short term project of 8-12 weeks". The description is very vague but it's clear they haven't a clue about what they are looking for and the role is going to be training their staff (with a possibility of doing some work for them with the ClientCo when back in the UK).

Could be an easy way to do a few days a month in the future, but right now my alarm bells would be ringing. You'll end up working UK hours manning a 1st line support desk.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Never seen a conract (sic) anywhere. HTHBIDI
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Mincepie View Post
                  I do not see this as something i am seriously considering but rate is good and they are throwing in accommodation. Could be a great experience or a complete nightmare.
                  Where are they suggesting for accommodation? If it's a flat then you'll need a driver / easy access to taxis - you'd be crazy to drive around Manila yourself. If it's a hotel then there's only one or two that are reasonable - personally I'd take the Peninsula over the Shangri-la any day. The Shang tends to be full of Russian mafia and less than subtle hookers; the Pen at least has some degree of subtlety.

The centre of Manila is nice enough for a city, but once you get outside it's fairly grim - the drive from airport to city centre can take you through the slums which is pretty depressing at times. But (in my experience) there isn't much to do - you can only lounge around the pool so much on a weekend. There's a good market if that floats your boat - pearls are always cheap, counterfeit watches are of good quality, and you can always buy a purse made from a dead frog if you have kids that are into that kind of grim souvenir (mine are). Weekends, you really want to be heading out of the city - get a cheap flight to Boracay or somewhere and spend time on the beach. Go sailing. Go diving. Anything but staying in the city.

Flights are reasonable - I'd not consider that journey unless it's business class. I got better flight times with Eithad than others via the middle east (avoid the KLM "direct" flight!), and I think they are all much of a muchness. My colleague prefers Emirates, and another one prefers Qatar (as long as you get the dreamliner rather than their older fleet) - they are all good enough for me though. I'd also want regular enough flights home and do some work from here, but that also depends on your family situation at home.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Corporate flat/condo digs, paid in USD into any account you want. Apparently non dom for 1st 6 months so you can pay local tax @ 15% or not... He said i would need to sort driver, maid etc myself, all very tempting. I did some napkin math and without checking this with anyone to see if i will end up in jail i believe 6 months = 70k sterling after expenses that dont go through the Ltd. All very intriguing..

However I said no maybe next year as family still a but too young but could see myself doing 6 months next year. Its a programme with lots of legs as huge transformation so will be something there next year.

If i was single i would have been over there a decade ago i think.

Comment

Working...
                    X