• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reid outlines new EU work curbs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reid outlines new EU work curbs

EU rules mean Romanians and Bulgarians will be free to live in the UK, and to take any job if self-employed. Critics say the plans are unworkable

Anyone self-employed (IT Workers)
    Highly skilled migrants (IT Workers)
    Skilled migrants with work permits (IT Workers)
    Students ( MS Windows 2003)
    Food and agriculture workers ( MS Windows XP)
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

My friend, I think you need a lay down. This entire EU enlargement anti-campaign makes me puke now...I've understand critics, fears, even targeted articles, I understand that immigration should not be treated in the manner which has been until now. I understand the problems of letting in 500.000 Polish workers without any controls.
    But I don't understand why now we should all apply the opposite judgement. So f*&^ off with the "poor blokes" from Ro and Bg, yeah?
    Do you really think that a closed market will be good in the long term? It is competition who improves the quality and overall performance, not a protectionist approach.
    I am against a complete open door policy without some measures. I am against benefits and public funds offered to immigrants in the first years.
    But arguments like yours are sh(*&te and a shame for a country formerly known for a liberal policy towards self employment and business initiative in general...
    I don't want to go on with a rant...it's useless...anyway maybe one day I will tell you how "the poor bloke" from Romania turned down offers of employment in the 50k range - and decided to stay on the other side...but not now...as I said, it is futile...
    The rest is silence...

Comment

Originally posted by Viktor
      My friend, I think you need a lay down. This entire EU enlargement anti-campaign makes me puke now...I've understand critics, fears, even targeted articles, I understand that immigration should not be treated in the manner which has been until now. I understand the problems of letting in 500.000 Polish workers without any controls.
      But I don't understand why now we should all apply the opposite judgement. So f*&^ off with the "poor blokes" from Ro and Bg, yeah?
      Do you really think that a closed market will be good in the long term? It is competition who improves the quality and overall performance, not a protectionist approach.
      I am against a complete open door policy without some measures. I am against benefits and public funds offered to immigrants in the first years.
      But arguments like yours are sh(*&te and a shame for a country formerly known for a liberal policy towards self employment and business initiative in general...
      I don't want to go on with a rant...it's useless...anyway maybe one day I will tell you how "the poor bloke" from Romania turned down offers of employment in the 50k range - and decided to stay on the other side...but not now...as I said, it is futile...
      No one within the EU owes you or your people a living. Many Poles have enriched themselves because we have run a democratic govt whilst the Polish people allowed themselves to be dominated by dictatorships. Thanks to in particular Ronald Reagan the communist bloc went bankrupt. All I can say is that you are damned lucky to be given such an opportunity to better yourselves whilst your country takes 20 or so years to catch up.

A bit of gratitude polease or have you already become "anglicised" with your attitude to work?

Comment

" My friend, I think you need a lay down. This entire EU enlargement anti-campaign makes me puke now...I've understand critics, fears, even targeted articles, I understand that immigration should not be treated in the manner which has been until now. I understand the problems of letting in 500.000 Polish workers without any controls."

I do not have a problem with EU workers, I have a problem with governments lying.

I also have a problem when emigration is unfair and one direction; for example how hard it is for anyone to work in India and be it so easy for them to work in the UK and how difficult it is for UK workers to work in may other EU countries.

The UK government has not kept statistics on the numbers of Polish emigrants, 500,000 is just and estimate. The Polish government has kept records and they say that Poland has lost 1,000,000 workers to the UK.

PS. If you tell us where you come from Victor, I can tell you how liberal you country is regarding workers.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Well if that's an example of what will be arriving from Romania, heaven help us.

More aggressive eastern europeans turning up on the doorstep demanding their 'rights'.
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

The Euro can only work effectively if there is a mobile labour market. In areas where there are inflation with rising costs of property and labour capital will flow to more depressed areas. The depressed areas will then attract workers and Bobs your Uncle. It is interesting to see that the froggie, krauts, dutch and eyties were the most pro euro yet the are the most anti free movement of labour.

Comment

Well, they ain't stupid then.
              Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
                Well, they ain't stupid then.

true

Comment

Breaking news... 500,000 Romanians and Bulgarians become self-employed in the last two hours... more to follow...
                  Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
                    Breaking news... 500,000 Romanians and Bulgarians become self-employed in the last two hours... more to follow...
                    They'll never get round IR35...wait of course they will becuase HMRC are too busy chasing us.

I used to work with a lot of Polish guys. They were the best people that I had ever worked with, hard working and intelligent. However then they learned thier rights and became as lazy as me. Time to kick em out I say.

Comment

Working...
                    X