• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Man accidentally 'deletes his entire company' with one line of bad code

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man accidentally 'deletes his entire company' with one line of bad code

Seriously!

Man accidentally 'deletes his entire company' with one line of bad code | News | Lifestyle | The Independent

Mr Marsala wrote on a forum for server experts that he was now stuck after having accidentally run destructive code on his own computers.
    This man is Suity and I claim my 100 highclass hookers

Comment

Mr Marsala confirmed that the code had even deleted all of the backups that he had taken in case of catastrophe. Because the drives that were backing up the computers were mounted to it, the computer managed to wipe all of those, too.

He did not put them on a drive at a separate site?

Comment

Who runs any script without testing properly on a live server ?

With a script like that, I normally test tons of scenarios before I unleash it on a sandbox and then if it works, onto a live box. Schoolboy error!
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Mr Marsala confirmed that the code had even deleted all of the backups that he had taken in case of catastrophe. Because the drives that were backing up the computers were mounted to it, the computer managed to wipe all of those, too.

He did not put them on a drive at a separate site?
          Like Panama?

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
            Who runs any script without testing properly on a live server ?

With a script like that, I normally test tons of scenarios before I unleash it on a sandbox and then if it works, onto a live box. Schoolboy error!
            Check my first post on this thread ...

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
              Like Panama?
              I remember Bishopsgate bombing in 1993. UBS lost windows in both their main site and backup site.

If it had been a airliner it could have been a lot more serious.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I remember Bishopsgate bombing in 1993. UBS lost windows in both their main site and backup site.

If it had been a airliner it could have been a lot more serious.
                Windows 95 in 1993?

Comment

Here's his original question on Server Fault: Recovering from a rm -rf /

In response to the answer suggesting some shenanigans with dd he says "I swapped if and of while doing dd. What to do now?"

For the non-Unixy ones among us, this means that in attempting to copy the raw contents of the wiped drive bit-by-bit to a new, blank drive so he could attempt to recover the data, he accidentally specified the blank drive as the source and the wiped drive as the destination, thereby ensuring that there's no chance whatsoever of any of the data surviving

Some have seen this as evidence that he's just trolling; but we've all done something like that (though hopefully less catastrophically), so maybe not

Comment

Can't really call 'rm -rf' 'code' though really?

Comment

Working...
                    X