• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Muslims being demonised, says Livingstone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James Sturcke
    Tuesday October 24, 2006
    Guardian Unlimited

The mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, today said the row over whether Muslims should wear veils had parallels with the hounding of Jews in Nazi Germany.

Speaking at the launch of the first ever report into Muslims living in London, Mr Livingstone said much of the ongoing debate about Muslim dress implied the community "was somehow at fault" for being at the centre of the storm.

Mr Livingstone said the "vast amount of verbiage" about the issue had been "quite breathtaking" and that very little was said about barriers the community faces in Britain, such as the "systematic pattern of discrimination against Muslims in employment".

"It is quite clear that the problems we have in Britain are not because Muslims wish to be separate ... I think the entire debate has been totally lopsided as though Muslims were somehow at fault for this," Mr Livingstone said.

"That echoes very much the demonology of Nazi Germany when Hitler said it was the Jews' fault and the problems were brought upon themselves. There is a faint echo of that in a lot of the rubbish we have been seeing in the media recently."

Mr Livingstone added he had never asked a Muslim woman to remove her veil and that the decision by British Airways to demand that an employee took off a necklace bearing a crucifix was "absolute nonsense".

He also implied criticism of Jack Straw, who sparked the veil debate by revealing he asked Muslim women to lift their veils during his constituency surgeries.

"If you are a powerful man and a person comes to see you for help, I think the majority of people would not be able to refuse [a request to remove their veil]. As for not being able to see their face, so much of politics is conducted on the telephone," he said.

In the report's foreword, Mr Livingstone praised the "incalculable debt" the world owes to Muslim culture, science, learning and commerce. However, Muslims in London face "serious discrimination and prejudice", he said today.

The study, compiled from a range of data, said that one in 12 Londoners was Muslim. Only 15% of Muslim women aged over 25 were employed full time, compared to 37% of women in the general population.

It also found that Muslims are disproportionately victims of religiously aggravated crime.

It made a number of recommendations, including the improving of monitoring and research, the investigation of forms of discrimination and improving the representation of Muslims in local, regional and national government.

Muhammad Abdul Bari, the secretary general of the Muslim Council of Britain, said the "groundbreaking" report documented the needs of the Muslim community and identified policy initiatives.

He also welcomed this weekend's inaugural celebrations of Eid, one of the most auspicious days in the Muslim calendar, in Trafalgar Square. It is hoped the celebrations will become a regular fixture in the capital like Chinese new year and Diwali.

Last week, Mr Livingstone won his high court appeal against a month-long suspension for likening a Jewish reporter to a Nazi concentration camp guard.

----------

Red Ken sure knows Nazi Germany well.

I kind of agree with that. It seems the politicians are deliberately whipping up a media storm. I'm confident enough to be tolerant about women in veils, even though I may not like it. Let the attention seekers wear what they want, if you ignore them, they'll soon get hot next summer
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

My sister was over here this summer and she seen a woman in veil (full face closed) in a shopping center browsing sexy lingeries (sp?), I asked why she did not take a photo, but her answer was mum, maybe that woman's husband was around?!?! Pity, could have been a great shot IMO.

Anyway, IMO the real point of the article is that Red Ken will happily call Jewish reporter a Nazi concentration guard, which tells all about his judgement. Why londoners voted for him anyway?

Comment

Oh Alexei, as his court case proved, jews, just like christians, do not have any protection under the law. If he had said to a muslim 'hey, how many women have you murdered in the name of islam over the years', in a jocular fashion, he'd be in jail by now.

And your story is another example of the hypocrisy of islam. Wearing a veil 'for modesty', sexy knickers under the burka.
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Dont think so McQ, Islam does not count as a race either, they only way they could prosecute Griffin was by claiming that when he said Muslims he meant Asians. Actually, I thought Jews did count as a race legally but can't be bothered to look it up.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
            Dont think so McQ, Islam does not count as a race either
            I think anti-racism laws were done in such a way that it does not really matter if technically something is a race or not.

Comment

Funny. Two Wolves said much the same thing re knickers the other day. The missus told me she knew a devout Muslim girl who used a PC password of Fatc*nt. There is hope for them yet!
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Yep, its not race laws, its general perception of racism. The law is so vague, and police and judges so scared of appearing to be 'racist' in any way shape or form, they mostly give in and 'vote muslim'.
                Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
                  And your story is another example of the hypocrisy of islam. Wearing a veil 'for modesty', sexy knickers under the burka.
                  My parents used to work in Saudi, & my mother said that, when she went to her hairdressers (i.e. no men present) the Saudi women would remove their veils & abayas as soon as they got through the door - they all hated wearing them. She also said that they were dressed "like tarts" underneath.
                  Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Aside from McQ - this is a good debate. And one thinks that perhaps this is what Jack wanted?

I personally don't like the veil, I don't think it serves a purpose in England where most men are used to seeing women without one on. Which is why I don't understand the whole "it empowers me" reasoning. To me it screams "I'm separate from you".

Up here its mainly worn by the Gujrati muslims who I suspect follow the rather strict and conservative teaching of their mosque in Dewsbury...Yes the one and same.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X