• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MSDOS and FORTRAN

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSDOS and FORTRAN

Last edited by zeitghost; 11 August 2016, 08:02.

Fortran was great... especially if you worked with complex numbers!

Comment

It was all FORTRAN when I worked on nuclear power stations. And all VMS too, happy days........

Comment

I wouldn't write off these old languages. After all, the terminator (and therefore skynet, probably) was written in COBOL.

Comment

FORTRAN is still widely used in some science and engineering disciplines.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
            I wouldn't write off these old languages. After all, the terminator (and therefore skynet, probably) was written in COBOL.
            Didn't the Terminator include some 6502 assembly language code? Gisajob, I can do that

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              It does indeed.

I'm not altogether clear on why the AI would be reviewing 6502 source code whilst hunting Sarah Connor, but there you go.

He was running a sideline business as an IT consultant, but was "working" from home that day.

As a highly efficient machine, I'd guess it has many processor cores, and hunting her probably only needs 2-3 max, so he might as well earn his day rate.

Comment

He was running a sideline business as an IT consultant, but was "working" from home that day.

As a highly efficient machine, I'd guess it has many processor cores, and hunting her probably only needs 2-3 max, so he might as well earn his day rate.

Also, as a consultant it knew not to deliver on time but to drag out the project of finding her for as long as it could. Why else would it have been so inefficient for a killing machine that 'absolutely will not stop'.

There's a lot we can learn from that movie. Not the 'give me your clothes' though. I stopped wearning leather when I got barred from the Blue Oyster Bar.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                  Also, as a consultant it knew not to deliver on time but to drag out the project of finding her for as long as it could. Why else would it have been so inefficient for a killing machine that 'absolutely will not stop'.

There's a lot we can learn from that movie. Not the 'give me your clothes' though. I stopped wearning leather when I got barred from the Blue Oyster Bar.
                  The terminator also visited that bar:

Comment

The terminator also visited that bar:

Now we know where it learnt to tango for the True Lies movie.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                    X