• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pavement parking Ban

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pavement parking Ban

Motorists parking on pavements could be fined £70 | Gloucester Citizen

Motorists could be fined £70 if they park on the pavement under a proposed ban aiming to make streets safer.

Government ministers are facing a total ban on kerb parking in England.

Parking on the pavement has been illegal in London for more than 40 years, and the government is considering extending the same system to the rest of the country.
    hmm that would work well, imagine London & the South East with no pavement parking most new estates would be gridlocked.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Motorists parking on pavements could be fined £70 | Gloucester Citizen

hmm that would work well, imagine London & the South East with no pavement parking most new estates would be gridlocked.
    well - if they actually built decent size roads then it would be fine - but most of the new estates with their identikit boxes have roads which actually only just fit 2 cars down...

Will never happen as it will cost too much to enforce it!

Comment

There's a few roads in a housing estate that was built about 7 years ago, where the roads are so narrow that if anyone parks outside their house, the remaining gap on the other side is so narrow, a single decker bus has great difficulty getting through.

How the developers get away with this is mind boggling. This isn't some side street it's the main road through the housing estate. Council planners and house builder companies should be first against the wall come the revolution.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        There's a few roads in a housing estate that was built about 7 years ago, where the roads are so narrow that if anyone parks outside their house, the remaining gap on the other side is so narrow, a single decker bus has great difficulty getting through.

How the developers get away with this is mind boggling. This isn't some side street it's the main road through the housing estate. Council planners and house builder companies should be first against the wall come the revolution.
        Indeed - cannot sell roads to people so better to cram in more little boxes which you can sell.

Comment

I blame Korbyn.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            well - if they actually built decent size roads then it would be fine - but most of the new estates with their identikit boxes have roads which actually only just fit 2 cars down...

Will never happen as it will cost too much to enforce it!
            That was partly to save costs. And partly to force people away from cars.

No-one needs a car inside the congestion zone, arguably it is little needed inside North/Sarf circ.

Why does the congestion zone has a resident discount ? They should pay ten times the cost.

Comment

Central rules on this are utterly absurd, it is something that needs to be devolved to local councils who can take account of local issues.

We have a brickworks down our road and, unless people park slightly on the pavement, the lorries could not get through.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Central rules on this are utterly absurd, it is something that needs to be devolved to local councils who can take account of local issues.

We have a brickworks down our road and, unless people park slightly on the pavement, the lorries could not get through.

You think the proles should say in how their lives are run?

If only it would happen....

Comment

The idea that a bus service can replace cars is totally ridiculous outside of large cities where people live and work in the same city.

For instance, often you need to get a bus from the area you live into the centre of your town, then change and get a bus to the centre of the next town, then get a bus from the centre of that town to the industrial/office park of that town where you are working. Each bus has it's own variable timetable and often with different bus companies. The bus itself might meander through lots of housing estates and the total journey time of a 20 mile journey could be 2 hours plus. In a car that might be 30 mins door to door including traffic.

Comment

Buses? If you live in the many villages like ours you only have a bus every two hours at best.

Also some pavements have been designed for parking on. On the other side of my road they are wide enough for a car and still provide ample room for pedestrians and the pavement/kerb/road are on the same level.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X