• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just received blank Self-Assessment Tax Return forms for 2012-2013 and 2013-2014

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just received blank Self-Assessment Tax Return forms for 2012-2013 and 2013-2014

hi all

First time poster long time lurker!

I have a question which I hope someone can give me some guidance on. Last week I received blank Self-Assessment Tax Return forms for the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 tax years from our friends at HMRC (no accompanying letter was received).

For some background on my employment status during these years:

- From Dec 2009 till Oct 2012 I was a permanent employee at a bank (hence a PAYE employee)
    - From Dec 2012 - Jun 2015 I was a contractor using an EBT scheme (a small one not one mentioned elsewhere in these forums) paid via PAYE and the usual loan arrangements.
    - I had no other income during these periods.

I have retained a copy of a letter from HMRC sent in January 2012 stating that the last year that I needed to complete a tax return is the year ending 5 Apr 2011. As I remained a PAYE employee, per HMRC guidance I did not complete a SA return for either of the two years they have since requested I complete them for.

Options that I appear to have available to me are:

1. Complete SA tax returns for both years.
    2. Request that HMRC withdraw their requests for the tax returns on the basis that they had previously informed me that I did not need to complete them and all my income remained under the PAYE system for the years in question.

My concern with option (1) is that it permits HMRC to open an enquiry into my tax returns under section 9A up to 12 months after I file the returns and a discovery assessment up to 4 years afterwards. i.e. it further extends the timeline for HMRC to enquire into those tax years where I used an EBT vehicle.

Has anyone else received something similar and / or is anyone able to recommend an approach in my case?

All thoughts gratefully received!

Do not pi55 about here on CUK. You need proper advice, I'd try Big Group to start with.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

See your/an accountant asap. Anything else would be genuine guess work.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Was it sent recorded? Are you sure you received it?

Did the scheme provider say that the scheme should be declared on your tax return or not? Did they advise you to submit a tax return or not?

Comment

Thanks for comments re: speaking to an accountant and / or Big Group - that's likely my next step.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Was it sent recorded? Are you sure you received it?
          Did the scheme provider say that the scheme should be declared on your tax return or not? Did they advise you to submit a tax return or not?
          They said it didn't need to be declared (scheme was not DOTAS notifiable) and did not advise submitting a tax return.

The tax returns were not sent recorded, however I received an email notification to "File your Self Assessment return" from HMRC a couple of days later so I don't think I can reasonably argue that I did not receive them or the email notification unfortunately.
          Last edited by Scarab; 18 April 2016, 13:15.

Comment

Working...
          X