• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blind optimism as a Project Management Tool

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blind optimism as a Project Management Tool

Not currently working out that great for the PMs here.

I can't help but feel disappointed on the project as a whole. When you have a fixed immovable deadline, then all the little deadlines in between times are really really important.

2 weeks from go-live, no working test environment, what fragments of a test environment we have I have migrated the data into. It's in about the shape I thought it would be on the first attempt. Oh ok, a wee bit worse, but the team I've been given aren't that great.

Still for all my warnings, and "I must have this by this date", we are now well and truly in the tulipe.

But still the PMs are upbeat and positive. There is no one on the team that doesn't get just how ****** things are. It's palpable.

I have to know how these guys can ignore the sage advice of a seasoned contractor, that delivers 2-3 data migrations per year, let it all fall to tulip and just keep smiling?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Wilmslooooooooooow is looking for work if you want to expand the dynamic team where you are.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      I can't help but feel disappointed on the project as a whole.
      Have you ever been on a project you were not disappointed in? Except for the one to increase the population of Luton.....

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Not currently working out that great for the PMs here.

I can't help but feel disappointed on the project as a whole. When you have a fixed immovable deadline, then all the little deadlines in between times are really really important.

2 weeks from go-live, no working test environment, what fragments of a test environment we have I have migrated the data into. It's in about the shape I thought it would be on the first attempt. Oh ok, a wee bit worse, but the team I've been given aren't that great.

Still for all my warnings, and "I must have this by this date", we are now well and truly in the tulipe.

But still the PMs are upbeat and positive. There is no one on the team that doesn't get just how ****** things are. It's palpable.

I have to know how these guys can ignore the sage advice of a seasoned contractor, that delivers 2-3 data migrations per year, let it all fall to tulip and just keep smiling?
        Do you put ALL of that on your cv?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Project Management Tool
          You overheard the permies talking about you then?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Do you put ALL of that on your cv?
            Yes. I even have a special CV tailored to data migrations.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Have you ever been on a project you were not disappointed in? Except for the one to increase the population of Luton.....
              Several. Also Plan B project is successfully managed by me.

Comment

Just keep invoicing and the bogey man wont come to get you, it will all be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincepie View Post
                  Just keep invoicing and Ensure your professional liability insurance is upto date, it will all be OK.
                  FTFY
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Indecision Increases Invoicing
                    Chaos Creates Cash

Hth.

Spod

Comment

Working...
                    X