PDA

View Full Version : Can I hedge bet against my company?

WTFH
18th April 2016, 12:34
Can I buy shares in my company, thus pushing the share price up, then sell them at a profit, but just before selling them, take out a hedge bet against them, so that when they drop I make more money?

It's to go to my family friend Bob in India so I think I can claim the VAT back as well, he's also done some charity work too, so I can gift aid it to him.
Oh and can I buy a BMW and an iPhone and get a mortgage on my house paid for by the company (or the UK government)?

diseasex
18th April 2016, 12:37
Can I buy shares in my company, thus pushing the share price up, then sell them at a profit, but just before selling them, take out a hedge bet against them, so that when they drop I make more money?

It's to go to my family friend Bob in India so I think I can claim the VAT back as well, he's also done some charity work too, so I can gift aid it to him.
Oh and can I buy a BMW and an iPhone and get a mortgage on my house paid for by the company (or the UK government)?

Only if you pay subscription fee to our company (T&C and fee of 9999.99£ apply)

filthy1980
18th April 2016, 12:58
one thing i never understood about the stock market and stokebrokers is who they would sell their shares to, when they were obviously tanking, then i read some books on the 2008 crash and the answer became pretty apparent.......pension fund managers

WTFH
18th April 2016, 13:04
one thing i never understood about the stock market and stokebrokers is who they would sell their shares to, when they were obviously tanking, then i read some books on the 2008 crash and the answer became pretty apparent.......pension fund managers

Have you seen the Big Short?

DimPrawn
18th April 2016, 13:04

If they are dividend paying stocks, a falling price means a rising yield, something too tempting for pension fund managers to resist.

AtW
18th April 2016, 13:16
If they are dividend paying stocks, a falling price means a rising yield, something too tempting for pension fund managers to resist.

Price falls because things are tulip, so previous dividend paying history is likely to be meaningless...

DimPrawn
18th April 2016, 13:28
Price falls because things are tulip, so previous dividend paying history is likely to be meaningless...

Yep, but pension fund managers get a bonus on short term yield, they couldn't give a **** about the long term value of the fund. They will be retired on the bonuses, and your pension is gone. :laugh

WTFH
18th April 2016, 13:30
Yep, but pension fund managers get a bonus on short term yield, they couldn't give a **** about the long term value of the fund. They will be retired on the bonuses, and your pension is gone. :laugh

Isn't that what Gideon is doing?

BrilloPad
18th April 2016, 13:32

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Mr Goldman and Mr Sucks can sort it all out for you.

MrMarkyMark
18th April 2016, 14:22

Who the feck do you think you are, an MP?

Mordac
18th April 2016, 15:12

Yes, you can, but just don't drop the soap in the showers...:winker:

MyUserName
18th April 2016, 16:17

Won't you be accused of insider trading?