• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I hedge bet against my company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I hedge bet against my company?

Can I buy shares in my company, thus pushing the share price up, then sell them at a profit, but just before selling them, take out a hedge bet against them, so that when they drop I make more money?

It's to go to my family friend Bob in India so I think I can claim the VAT back as well, he's also done some charity work too, so I can gift aid it to him.
    Oh and can I buy a BMW and an iPhone and get a mortgage on my house paid for by the company (or the UK government)?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Can I buy shares in my company, thus pushing the share price up, then sell them at a profit, but just before selling them, take out a hedge bet against them, so that when they drop I make more money?

It's to go to my family friend Bob in India so I think I can claim the VAT back as well, he's also done some charity work too, so I can gift aid it to him.
    Oh and can I buy a BMW and an iPhone and get a mortgage on my house paid for by the company (or the UK government)?
    Only if you pay subscription fee to our company (T&C and fee of 9999.99£ apply)

Comment

one thing i never understood about the stock market and stokebrokers is who they would sell their shares to, when they were obviously tanking, then i read some books on the 2008 crash and the answer became pretty apparent.......pension fund managers

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
        one thing i never understood about the stock market and stokebrokers is who they would sell their shares to, when they were obviously tanking, then i read some books on the 2008 crash and the answer became pretty apparent.......pension fund managers

Have you seen the Big Short?

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
          If they are dividend paying stocks, a falling price means a rising yield, something too tempting for pension fund managers to resist.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            If they are dividend paying stocks, a falling price means a rising yield, something too tempting for pension fund managers to resist.
            Price falls because things are tulip, so previous dividend paying history is likely to be meaningless...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Price falls because things are tulip, so previous dividend paying history is likely to be meaningless...
              Yep, but pension fund managers get a bonus on short term yield, they couldn't give a **** about the long term value of the fund. They will be retired on the bonuses, and your pension is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Yep, but pension fund managers get a bonus on short term yield, they couldn't give a **** about the long term value of the fund. They will be retired on the bonuses, and your pension is gone.

Isn't that what Gideon is doing?

Comment

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Mr Goldman and Mr Sucks can sort it all out for you.

Comment

Who the feck do you think you are, an MP?
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X