• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Penalise them

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Penalise them

In a BBC report on Richmond taxing owners of "gas-guzzling" cars more heavily to park outside their homes:
    Leafy Richmond is one of Britain's most affluent boroughs.

Its homes are among the highest producers in Britain of the greenhouse gas CO2.

The new Liberal Democrat council is trying to put a stop to that.
    Put a stop to which part of that? CO2, or affluence?
    Last edited by expat; 25 October 2006, 08:13.

Why dont we also tax those with old cars?

After all, old cars produce more co2 than new cars!

Mailman

Comment

But surely when the car is parked its emitting zero emissions... or am i missing something?
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

You have to pay to park outside your own house? That's sick ...
        What is this country turning into?
        Johnny Talibani Mumbai

Comment

Originally posted by ImNotFromIndia
          You have to pay to park outside your own house? That's sick ...
          What is this country turning into?
          Been happening for a long time in some of the city boroughs. Main problem is that the houses were built in the pre-car ownership times.

The street that I used to live on had a massive parking problem. 3 storey terrace houses, most of them 5 person house shares in a professional area so 2-3 cars per house and no off road parking. If I got home from work after 7pm then more often than not I'd be parking a 5 minute walk away.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
            ... If I got home from work after 7pm then more often than not I'd be parking a 5 minute walk away.
            But do you still have to pay?

5 min walk is good exercise ...
            Johnny Talibani Mumbai

Comment

Originally posted by ImNotFromIndia
              But do you still have to pay?

5 min walk is good exercise ...
              No it was free, but if it was charged then a few of the lesser paid permies living on the street might have sold the car and gone back to the bus
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
                Already happens - road tax is now based on CO2. Also there is strong correlation between fuel usage and CO2, so in effect those cars with high CO2 pay a lot more in tax via fuel duty.

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman

After all, old cars produce more co2 than new cars!

Mailman
                  There is more energy used and pollution generated in making a new car than continuing to use an old car. Could the good folk of Richmond avoid the tax by converting their 4x4s to LPG? Useful if the congestion charge exemption still stands when the CC zone is extended westwards.
                  Only the mediocre are ever at their best

Comment

"Why dont we also tax those with old cars?"

Why not encourage the replacemnet of older cars - make the company car tax system more attractive and many of the older and more inefficient cars would be removed pretty quickly - like mine!
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X