• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to look for jobs (excluding London)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to look for jobs (excluding London)

Hi,

I'm a .NET C# developer with more than 10 years of experience. I'm a permanent, not a contractor.

I'm employed in the financial sector (on what many would call a good job, with a decent salary), but I commute to the City everyday, from Wembley, and I'm getting sick of this rush hour tube life. I'm tired of competing with other human beings for space (be it a space in the tube, a place to live, or a restaurant). London has too many humans.

I was wondering, where could I go in the UK for a good balance of .NET C# jobs and an easier family-friendly, quieter lifestyle?

Apologies if this has already been discussed...

I appreciate any comment.

sog

Although you don't mention it in your post I suspect you'd be willing to relocate as commuting from Wembley to places outside London would be just as bad I imagine.

There do seem to be a reasonable number of perm jobs outside of London right now, just look at places like Oxford and Reading. Only you can answer the question what sort of salary you require and whether the salaries in any location outside of London would be right for you.

On a different note... anyone else in .Net/C# market quiet for anything outside of web development?
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 18 September 2019, 16:14.

Comment

On a different note... anyone else in .Net/C# market quiet for anything outside of web development?[/QUOTE]

Apparently it's really happening in Manchester...
      Last edited by Contractor UK; 18 September 2019, 16:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        Yeah if you really want a change move up north plenty of decent sleepy commuter towns in Cheshire within easy commute of Manchester

Or if you want get a flat in the centre of town.

But don't tell anyone.

It may rain a bit more than you are used to.

Comment

Careful, we don't want to give the game away about how nice it is up north......

As an example though I pull in approx 90% of the day rate I could pull in London but my housing costs are approx 50% cheaper, I can get a seat on the train into the centre of town and you can go for a meal out without having to re-mortgage the house.

I vowed never to work inside the M25 again after seeing the state of the human sardines on the tube and have never regretted it.
          Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Comment

manchester is developing like crazy now. BoA started their offices recently here too. spoke with them-they appreciate the amount of students and low rates. other than that its difficult to get more than 325 up here north

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
              manchester is developing like crazy now. BoA started their offices recently here too. spoke with them-they appreciate the amount of students and low rates. other than that its difficult to get more than 325 up here north
              I did wonder about rates up north. I thought anything 400+ in the Manchester area would be considered an above average rate. Interesting comment about BoA starting offices there - helps the Northern Powerhouse and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                I did wonder about rates up north. I thought anything 400+ in the Manchester area would be considered an above average rate. Interesting comment about BoA starting offices there - helps the Northern Powerhouse and all that.
                i met only one at 350 , rest i asked is at 300, me being in the middle. thats why after this gig i'm moving to london and hope for 450
                dunno maybe i'm not aiming high enough?
                Last edited by diseasex; 20 April 2016, 19:48.

Comment

Working...
                X