• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No Notice Contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Notice Contracts

Hi, Just wondered if anyone had come accross "No Notice Contracts" before?

My situation is as follows, I had a 60 day contract which I did not sign which stipulated that the Client had a 1 week notice period which he could use to terminate my employment but under the supplier (me) notice period it stated that I could not terminate or give notice on the contract at any point. Like I said I had not signed this contract but did start work at the client site and wanted to leave 2 weeks early. I just wondered if anyone had any idea on where I would stand legally if I where to finish early in order to take up a more lucrative / long term contract?

go find a hole?

The clue is in your quote: "..in order to take up a more lucrative / long term contract?"

what part of "No notice period" do you not understand?

Tell you what, if you enlisted a plumber to fix a new bathroom for you, would you be a tad annoyed if he left without trace after installing the bath, but not plumbed it in?

Or how about if you asked a painter and decorator in to paint your walls; but after applying one coat he cleared off for a better paid gaff elsewhere?

Now a little closer to home: If you signed a contract with a client and the client reneged on its own notice terms with you. Wouldn't you be aggrieved?

Get a life! Get professional!

No wonder IT contractors have a cowboy image!

Comment

I think...

the point he is trying to make is that he can be given the arse by his employer BUT he has no rights to terminate them (ie...they can do as they please YET he does not have the same rights as them).

Martin, you really should watch out. A fall from that height is often fatal

Mailman

Comment

Mutuality of Obligation

Ever heard of the one the differences between employment and self-employment?

If you were an employee then, yes, you would expect that the notice periods would be reciprocal. In business, however, quite often the notice periods are imbalanced.

Take, for example, a hypothetical contract between a property company and its building contractor. It would be usual for the property company to reserve the right to terminate the building contractor's contract early for any reason, whereas the building contractor would be obligated to complete the work it was contracted to do. This happens a lot in BUSINESS contracts; and, after all, aren't you supposed to be IN BUSINESS??? or have I missed something here.

As I said earlier, get a life and get professional.

Comment

Re:the point he is trying to make ...

So what

the plumber/painter analogy still applies.

If the guy turns out to be crap then you want to be able to tell him where to go, but you still want him to finish the job if he's OK (I won't say good because that level of expertese is too much to expect)

Yes, of course you can have a 'quality' clause in the contract, but the employer knows that this is virtually useless in reality becaue of the legal hassle so he wants with the 'notice without reason' clause , no aggro.

This is a business relationship you are in, if you don't like the terms, renegotiate or turn the job down.

If you want to be a permi, take a permi job.

tim

Comment

So...

All that had to be said was "no, you have to complete the contract" :rolleyes

I know its a bit too much to ask...but sometimes you dont have to be rude to get your point across

Mailman

Comment

Way out..

They can terminate you with 1 weeks (paid) notice? and you can't give any notice? Is that right?

(*ck em!

Don't go back when you have the new contract signed. They will soon terminate you. Oh, look out for penalties, make sure you have been paid for what you have done, and read the new contract first....!

I know it is kinda rough on the client, but hey man, look after number 1 and all that.

Comment

Professionalism

To the ****** who wrote the following:
                ======================
                Don't go back when you have the new contract signed. They will soon terminate you. Oh, look out for penalties, make sure you have been paid for what you have done, and read the new contract first....!

I know it is kinda rough on the client, but hey man, look after number 1 and all that.
                ========================

What kind of professional attitude do you have to your job? I would say none at all. You do not deserve to be employed with an attitude such as yours.

So, next time you take your car in for a service, I suppose you'll think it's fair game if the mechanic decides not to complete the repairs on your car?

How about the next time you take your bird (I say "bird" because you probably have the vocabularly of a Sun reader) to a posh restaurant (which in your case probably means a slap-up at the local Harvester) I suppose you will smile appreciatively when the chef serves the vegetables but forgets to cook the meat.

The reason for my rudeness is because some IT contractors are so far up their own rear-ends that they think employers should kowtow to their whims entirely.

Comment

correct me if Im wrong...

but we arent talking about a farken car getting fixed are we?

We are talking about something infinately more intimate

Get off your high horse...you will find the view from down here is much closer to the truth than from your perch.

Mailman

Comment

Re: correct me if Im wrong...

mailman - you are in fact Milan aren't you - there can only be one?

Comment

Working...
                    X