• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B for younger contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan B for younger contractors?

Interesting and lucrative career change - if only I was younger.

(warning - audio starts automatically)
    BBC World Service - Newsday, Why are airlines facing a pilot shortage?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

If I get that MF on my plane I am going to throw him off. After take-off.....

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Interesting and lucrative career change - if only I was younger.

(warning - audio starts automatically)
      BBC World Service - Newsday, Why are airlines facing a pilot shortage?
      Daft idea for a long-term career I'm afraid.

Airplanes will be literally flying themselves in ten years, or at best with a couple of pilots holed up in some land-based facility thousands of miles away monitoring dozens of planes in flight, and taking over the controls only in the event of an emergency.

How about one of these?

2015-12-24 The 22 safest jobs during the robot revolution
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Daft idea for a long-term career I'm afraid.

Airplanes will be literally flying themselves in ten years,
        That's possible now (remote flying anyway). Thing is passengers won't stand for it. They'll want a "teetering bulb of dream and dread" instead of a computer anyday.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

That's possible now (remote flying anyway). Thing is passengers won't stand for it. They'll want a "teetering bulb of dream and dread" instead of a computer anyday.
          You really should read the article this article is based on se http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/17...he-pilots.html . It is a list of reasons why people don't want to become pilots rather than a reason to become one.

Yes there is a shortage but given the barriers to entry and the crap pay until you join one of the major airlines, there are far easier ways to earn s living..
          Last edited by eek; 21 April 2016, 12:37.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Friend of mine is a pilot for BA. Always moaning about it.

The only thing they do is the landing other than that its autopilot all the way. 99.9% shear boredom and .1% shear terror.

He's trying to get into IT.

--- Edit : oh and the T&C's are pretty crap too.

Comment

I've got a mate who's a pilot for a hire firm so he very rarely actually has to work (but is on call all the time). He also provides back up pilot services on an air ambulance service. He said commercial flying was awful, not very well paid and he'd never go back to it. Sure he told me a few years ago that a job application to BA required an up front payment of about £500. He also wanted to get into IT.
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                You really should read the article this article is based on se Plenty of Passengers, but Where Are the Pilots? - NYTimes.com . It is a list of reasons why people don't want to become pilots rather than a reason to become one.

Yes there is a shortage but given the barriers to entry and the crap pay until you join one of the major airlines, there are far easier ways to earn s living..
                That's the US. The regionals have always paid pilots poorly (in part because they always had until now a glut of ex-military).
                Looks like market forces are coming into play now and salaries will have to rise.
                Although I take the OP's point about excessive automation.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Made me curious so I looked it up:

http://www.flightdeckfriend.com/#!ho...-get-paid/cb9k

Seems quite well paid to me ...

[Deleted a link as it didn't work]
                  Last edited by sasguru; 21 April 2016, 13:14.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

not bad for a flying bus driver.

long haul they get a few days off between flights , and get to pile drive the trolly dollies in the designated hotels.

i did airport work for 7 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X