• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are low-ranking universities bad for our children?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More importantly, are rubbish degrees bad for our children?

Over Easter I had lunch at Yo Sushi at Cheshire Oaks. When I paid, our waitress asked if we had finished shopping.
    Me - "My wife and daughter have : I took the boys to see the Catalyst museum".
    Her - "What is that?".
    Me - "A chemical museum nearby".
    Her - "I must visit - I have a degree in bio-chemistry".
    Me - "Why are you working here"(I expected the answer to be looking for work"
    Her - "Yo Sushi pays better"
    Me - "Please don't give up your dream. Most starter jobs earn less".

Sorry if this sounds bad, but she was female and black. Would do great for diversity statistics if she was working......

The article linked to is a good one.

I think that for many children now going to university the choice must be based on the job/career prospects for previous graduates post university. If an establishment has a poor record of translating education into decent jobs then I don't think it's worthwhile going, particularly given the potential amount of debt people will now leave university with. I feel lucky to have only come out of university with something like £3k in student loans... that's nothing compared to now.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
      I feel lucky to have only come out of university with something like £3k in student loans... that's nothing compared to now.
      Agreed.

You could get a lot more drink and drugs for that sort of money back then
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        Agreed.

Too right!

Comment

Agreed.

I think it was always tough. We struggled to get drunk on regular booze. So switched to Scrumpy - Exeter university so local farmers were cheap.

That stuff was like rocket fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I think it was always tough. We struggled to get drunk on regular booze. So switched to Scrumpy - Exeter university so local farmers were cheap.

The good old days. I was at Crossmead the year it closed. At the Annual party we had several police turn up with dogs after a car was overturned.....

Comment

Used to go to Plymouth so know all about the ciiiderrr
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Used to go to Plymouth so know all about the ciiiderrr
                Cool beans!

Did you manage to avoid upsetting the Navy Provosts?

Comment

Cool beans!

Did you manage to avoid upsetting the Navy Provosts?
                  Yeh, actually, we found they softened up quite a bit once they had been given some Dutch MDMA pills.
                  Pussy cats, then
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                    The article linked to is a good one.

I think that for many children now going to university the choice must be based on the job/career prospects for previous graduates post university. If an establishment has a poor record of translating education into decent jobs then I don't think it's worthwhile going, particularly given the potential amount of debt people will now leave university with.
                    imo frist and foremost you attend university to study a subject you're passionate about. 2nd you're qualification provides skills in demand. Not just the UK but the world over.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X