• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mash nail it again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mash nail it again

Man voting to stay in EU because he thinks he’s sophisticated

A MAN is convinced that Britain should stay in Europe because he imagines it gives him continental flair.

Quantity surveyor Wayne Hayes, who believes himself a cut above the Little Englander types, argues that Brexit would make him look parochial and unworldly.

:::

“No, staying in Europe is the suave, sophisticated thing to do and that’s the sort of person I am.”
    Now who round here seems to have exactly the same attitude?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Mr C is waiting to hear the BREexit camp proactively explain the positives of leaving the EU, instead of just defending themselves against the Pro-EU campaigners.

BRExit isn't having a very good campaign at the moment.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Mr C is waiting to hear the BREexit camp proactively explain the positives of leaving the EU, instead of just defending themselves against the Pro-EU campaigners.

Perhaps some of Daniel Hannan's articles will clarify things for him.

The objection to the EU is not that we are an anxious country, afraid of change. It’s that we are a great country with a global vocation. Far from pining for the 1950s, we reject the EU precisely because it is a relic of that top-down, dirigiste decade. We are driven, not by nostalgia, but by confidence.
      The campaign run by Britain Stronger in Europe (BSE) is the most Eeyorish I’ve ever come across. It’s not just that the doomsters have nothing positive to say about Britain. They don’t even have anything positive to say about the EU. All their talk of “reform” dried up after the débâcle of the renegotiation, leaving them with just one theme: fear of change. We’ll have migrant camps in Kent! Our scientists will emigrate! We’ll be air-lifting pensioners from the Costa Brava!

The Remain-mongers misunderstand the temper of the British people in three ways. First, we can tell when we’re being taken for fools. Incredible assertions prompt scorn rather than fear. When, for example, we hear Anna Soubry averring that, after independence, our exports to the EU will fall to “almost absolutely zero”, we don’t just disbelieve that claim; we stop listening to anything else she has to say about the EU.

Second, we don’t care for our country being run down. We know that the United Kingdom is the fifth largest economy in the world and the fourth military power, a leading member of the G7 and one of five permanent seat-holders on the UN Security Council. Britain has created more jobs in the past five years – this is a truly extraordinary statistic – than the other 27 EU states put together. We managed pretty successfully for a thousand years before the EU came along, and we bridle at the suggestion that we owe our prosperity to Jean-Claude Juncker.

Third, we remember the early 2000s. We know that the same arguments were trotted out then about the euro – by the same people. Ken Clarke, Richard Branson, Martin Sorrell, Mike Rake, Nick Clegg, Roland Rudd, Peter Mandelson – all assured us that we’d be finished if we kept the pound: investment would dry up and unemployment would rise and blah blah fishcakes. What’s striking is not just that these things didn’t happen; it’s that they happened to the eurozone.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Exactly. To make any informed choice people need to know facts.
        To be frank, there is so much BS flying around from both sides, IMO, it's hard to sort the wheat from the chaff.
        I'm hoping to wake up and the whole thing has been a bad dream.

Sometimes I wish, wholeheartedly, Guy Fawkes had been successful, such is the poor state of politics in the UK.
        Comprised the lot of them, or, if not, determined to make us the next Venezuela .

I hold Blair & Co largely responsible for the start of the rot, also.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Perhaps some of Daniel Hannan's articles will clarify things for him.
          And the positives are....?
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

If we leave it'll be more white vans, you name it. No thanks. Prefer we remain continental.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

As the whole euro debacle showed.

It did not make a large negative lasting difference. And neither will this.

And I mean whichever way we vote.

This is about whether we want to be a nation that stands apart from all other nations but that does not mean we stand alone.

Comment

The Brexit campaign seem to be floundering since Obama screwed up their main "positive argument"

Boris Johnson blasted by Sir Nicholas Soames amid row over Churchill's bust | Politics | News | Daily Express

I'm alright Jack

Comment

I think it's pretty damn obvious really, you already know what the EU are doing and a bit of research will show what is going to happen whereas if you look at the Leave lot, each of the 3 groups says something different because no-one knows what will happen. The Brexit campaign are having a bad time because basically they're imbeciles driven not by rational thought but by emotion which as anyone knows, always ends in tears....
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I think its got a lot to do with the democracy thing. Having elected representatives we can kick out.

Or just remain and hand everything over to the EU. Leave 'em to get on with it.
                    Last edited by Flashman; 23 April 2016, 13:58.

Comment

Working...
                    X