• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RIP BHS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP BHS

Another dinosaur of retail legend shuffles off. Must be a pretty tulipty time for the staff and pensioners.

Linky

Will anyone miss anything tangible about the place? I for one will miss the ability to empty my bladder in reasonable surroundings. Will have to defer to Costa or something now.

yep the loo, lighting section and christmas tat.

Its been heading downhill for years, thought John Lewis or Debenhams would buy it.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
      Another dinosaur of retail legend shuffles off. Must be a pretty tulipty time for the staff and pensioners.

Linky

Will anyone miss anything tangible about the place? I for one will miss the ability to empty my bladder in reasonable surroundings. Will have to defer to Costa or something now.
      I surprised it lasted so long, who the feck shops there? Good riddance maybe we can get more John Lewis's or Selfridges.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        yep the loo, lighting section and christmas tat.

Its been heading downhill for years, thought John Lewis or Debenhams would buy it.
        Wifey works for Debs, had the same discussion last night. To summarise, they wouldn't touch BHS with a sh1tty stick. Pension deficit of half a billion was probably the cruncher...
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Interesting about the Pension Protection Fund:

Originally posted by wikipedia
          Any member who is over their normal retirement age or who retired early due to ill health will receive 100% of the pension they are currently receiving.
          Other members will receive the 90% level of compensation capped at a certain level. For the year from 1 April 2011, the cap is £33,219.36[6] per annum for members at age 65. From 2013, the cap will also increase by 3% for each year of service over 20 years.[7][8]
          Seems if you've retired already then you'll still get paid out. If not, it's a 10% reduction on your pot.

Comment

On a related note, a good friend of mine worked at the last Woolworths to close. His manager bagged up some pick'n'mix and sold it on eBay as the last bag ever for £14500. I think the money was charity bound mind you.

Comment

It was doomed it had "British" in the name.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                It will be resurrected as EUHS if the vote in the referendum is "Stay"

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Also 'HS'

VHS. BHS. NHS and HS2 next?

Comment

I still miss Timothy Whites....

Comment

Working...
                    X