• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pensions & Tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pensions & Tax

Assuming I have no other income and I take £20,000 out of a personal pension, which of the following would be the correct amount of tax due?

1. First 25% of pension is tax free so 5k tax free, 11k personal allowance, so tax due on remaining 4k @20% =£800 tax

2. 11k personal allowance, leaves 9k, 25% of this tax free (£2250) which leave £6750 to be taxed at 20% = £1350 tax

Cheers

TZ

Maybe you need to have a chat with someone the specializes in taxation? An accountant perhaps?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Maybe you need to have a chat with someone the specializes in taxation? An accountant perhaps?
      Thanks for your detailed response.

I'm sure one of the many talented members on the forum may know the answer

Comment

Originally posted by TZ5 View Post
        Thanks for your detailed response.

I'm sure one of the many talented members on the forum may know the answer
        It's definitely an accountant, I'm sure of it!

Comment

Are you over 55?

Comment

Probably not too many contributors here are drawing their pensions yet....

Comment

On the assumption that you are over 55:-

1) Have you not taken the 25% lump sum previously ?
              2) I am assuming this is just a drawdown ?
              3) I am assuming it is within the drawdone rules ?

If this is the case then:-

1 - 25% would normally be eligible for the lump sum treatment
              2 - the balance is just income

If you have no other income then:-

£5k at 0
              £11k (assuming you qualify for 11k personal allowance) at 0
              £4k at 20%

If you have other income then the 15k will be taxed at your marginal rate (and may of course increase that by pushing you into a higher tax bracket).

A good way of dealing with it it to open up your sa account and put the number in and do the calc and not file it.

Of course your personal circumstances (or my errors) may make the above a complete pile of since your tax affairs are based entirely on your circumstances.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-pension/wh...-whats-taxfree
              Last edited by ASB; 25 April 2016, 17:22. Reason: useful but obvious link

Comment

isn't the 25% tax relief for a one off withdraw of 25% of the total fund, not 25% of the amount taken in the first year. So it will depend on the fund value.

as NLUK says, speak to an accountant
                Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 25 April 2016, 21:15.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
                  isn't the 25% tax relief for a one off withdraw of 25% of the total fund, not 25% of the amount taken in the first year. So it will depend on the fund value.

as NLUK says, speak to an accountant
                  From the govt link posted above:

"You can usually take 25% of a pension pot tax free. Your pension provider takes tax off the remaining 75% before you get it."

Accountant, though? I would have thought that an IFA would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                    From the govt link posted above:

"You can usually take 25% of a pension pot tax free. Your pension provider takes tax off the remaining 75% before you get it."

Accountant, though? I would have thought that an IFA would be better.
                    I thought you could take 25% a year?

Comment

Working...
                    X