• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheeky Cheating Cyclists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheeky Cheating Cyclists

Cyclists Use Tiny Motors to Cheat | Hackaday

Blood doping is so last decade! The modern cyclist has a motor and power supply hidden inside the bike’s frame.

We were first tipped off to the subject in this article in the New York Times. A Belgian cyclocross rider, Femke Van den Driessche, was caught with a motor hidden in her bike.

While we don’t condone sports cheating, we think that hiding a motor inside a standard bike is pretty cool. But it’s even more fun to think of how to catch the cheats. The Italian and French press have fixated on the idea of using thermal cameras to detect the heat. (Skip to 7:50 in the franceTVsport clip.) We suspect it’s because their reporters recently bought Flir cameras and are trying to justify the expense.

The UCI, cycling’s regulatory body, doesn’t like thermal. They instead use magnetic pulses and listen for the characteristic ringing of a motor coil inside the frame. Other possibilities include X-ray and ultrasonic testing. What do you think? How would you detect a motor inside a bike frame or gearset?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Simple, shoot the cyclist. If the wheels keep turning, they were a cheat with a motor. If not, one less cyclist.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Last summer I was chasing down a fat lad on a hybrid going downhill at an impressive pace. Gravity, I thought. I overtook and saw no more of him for a couple of miles on the flat. Coming uphill he swept past imperiously and through the sweat I could just make out he had an electric bike. Cheating fat ****er. These people should be tied to their bikes and thrown in a pond.

Comment

It used to be far easier to detect cheaters (and coyotes)....

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Simple, shoot the cyclist. If the wheels keep turning, they were a cheat with a motor. If not, one less cyclist.
          I take it you have family in Salem?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Why don't they just stick to EPO?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Why don't they just stick to EPO?
              Cos of the side effects...
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Cos of the side effects...
                Nothing to do with being caught then. I am pleased you cleared that up.

ex-mrs-BP-1 used to take EPO. Before her kidney transplant.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Nothing to do with being caught then. I am pleased you cleared that up.

ex-mrs-BP-1 used to take EPO. Before her kidney transplant.
                  She had to be on drugs to ride you? Says a lot pal. Stay strong.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Should I have examined Vetran's bike at L2B?

Comment

Working...
                    X