• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Seconded to another city. Can a set daily rate for subsistance (food) be set?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seconded to another city. Can a set daily rate for subsistance (food) be set?

I am seconded to another city and rarely travel back to my residence.
    The question is can I pay myself a set daily rate for food of say £30 - this is to cover 3 meals a day, in pubs/restaurants?
    The way I do it now is reimburse myself on the receipts value, but the number of receipts is huge, they fade ink in 6 months etc.
    So can a fixed sum be paid and if so how will this be recorded in the books? Is there a accepted food day rate by HMRC?
    The aim is not to keep receipts.

If you are being sent to another city as part of your contract, you should be charging the client.

As for keeping receipts, use your phone, take a photo.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

What have you negotiated with the client, or have you bent over and taken it?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Oh, and ask your accountant. Based on your previous threads only they can unpick your accounts.

Comment

Are you thinking about dispensations? I don't think they are allowing these things anymore though..

Contractors' Questions: Do I claim what dinner cost me or a fixed sum? :: Contractor UK
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
            The question is can I pay myself a set daily rate for food of say £30 - this is to cover 3 meals a day, in pubs/restaurants?
            The way I do it now is reimburse myself on the receipts value, but the number of receipts is huge, they fade ink in 6 months etc.
            So can a fixed sum be paid and if so how will this be recorded in the books? Is there a accepted food day rate by HMRC?
            Yes,..become an MP!

Comment

Look up "scale rates" on hmrc and decide if it applies to your situation.

Starter: https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-bene...-rate-payments

Comment

Re: fading receipts...have you thought about investing in a cheap scanner or using a receipt app on your phone?

Comment

Day rate is good enough, not to ask for extra expenses.

Comment

Day rate is good enough, not to ask for extra expenses.
                    You've set a precedent with the client now.
                    So if they ask you to fly half way round the world, would you charge them for the flight?

But, if the daily rate is good enough then you don't need receipts or to try to claim anything back from your company.

Comment

Working...
                    X