• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit tax

According to the OECD

EU referendum: OECD warning of 'Brexit tax' sparks row - BBC News

Leaving the EU would be the equivalent of imposing an additional "tax" of one month's income on UK workers, a leading economic think-tank has said.
    The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) said economic growth would be lower outside the EU as the UK could not negotiate a "sweeter" deal on trade and investment.
    The OECD will release its assessment of the economic consequences for the UK of leaving the EU later on Wednesday.
    But, ahead of the report's publication, its secretary general Angel Gurria told the BBC that he had no doubt that leaving would be a "bad decision" and expressed surprise that the UK was even contemplating such a move.

"Brexit is like a tax. It is the equivalent to roughly missing out on about one month's income within four years but then it carries on to 2030," the former Mexican politician told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

"That tax is going to be continued to be paid by Britons over time."

This forecast, he explained, was based on the assumption that growth rates would be lower-than-expected outside the EU because there was "no kind" of trade deal that the UK could do "better by yourselves than you would be in the company of the Europeans".
    "We have done the comparisons, we have done the simulations," he said.

"In the end we come out and say: why are we spending so much time, so much effort and so much talent in trying to find ways to compensate for a bad decision when you do not necessarily have to take the bad decision?

"This is not wishful thinking - which we believe that the Brexit camp in many cases has been assuming. There is absolutely no reason why you would get a sweeter trade deal than you already have, no reason why you would have a sweeter investment deal."
    Not surprisingly the Kippers have dismissed it all as fear mongering by The Establishment (TM):

But Vote Leave said the body was "in the EU's pay", getting £23m since 2007.
    And UKIP's Nigel Farage said "markets not failed politicians" decided trade.
    Failed politicians like Farage?

Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

It will be interesting to get German views on trade should we threaten to put a massive tariff on the 1m cars we buy off them.

In or out, a trade war makes no sense to either side so very little would change.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
      It will be interesting to get German views on trade should we threaten to put a massive tariff on the 1m cars we buy off them.

In or out, a trade war makes no sense to either side so very little would change.
      Maybe they don't give a tulip as they'll still be in the largest trading bloc in Europe and can use that to negotiate a better deal with other trading blocs in the world and apart from that, they could just knock the price down for EU members thereby offsetting that loss from the UK. The question you ought to ask is "what would insert_middle_class_name_here do when he can't afford a luxury German saloon anymore?"
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post

Do you really believe BMW drivers will not pay in favour of a Ford Focus?
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Maybe they don't give a tulip as they'll still be in the largest trading bloc in Europe and can use that to negotiate a better deal with other trading blocs in the world and apart from that, they could just knock the price down for EU members thereby offsetting that loss from the UK. The question you ought to ask is "what would insert_middle_class_name_here do when he can't afford a luxury German saloon anymore?"
          You can buy a usable C-Class Merc for £1K and S-Class for £4k. Second-hand of course.

Comment

If I was a Brexiteer I would be going for the uncontrolled immigration argument.
            The economic one is lost for them already.
            TBH I'm considering not voting because I do accept the uncontrolled immigration argument.
            But if I was forced to vote I'd vote Remain as it seems to me (for now at least) much the lesser of 2 evils.
            My ultimate argument is if we need an emergency brake at any point in the future, an act of Parliament can make it so, as we've established.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

After the EU rebate, the UK pays £250,000,000 per week to the EU as membership "fees".

All these costs seem to forget this simple fact. £250m per week better off without even getting out of bed.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                After the EU rebate, the UK pays £250,000,000 per week to the EU as membership "fees".

All these costs seem to forget this simple fact. £250m per week better off without even getting out of bed.
                Which is about 0.01% of total weekly Uk expenditure.
                You see I think remain will win, just, because in spite of the dumbing down that has taken place over the decades, the Brexiteers always shoot themselves in the foot with their poor/irrelevant numbers and maths.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

What will the weekly cost be for a Norwegian or Swiss style relationship with the EU?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Which is about 0.01% of total weekly Uk expenditure.
                    You see I think remain will win, just, because in spite of the dumbing down that has taken place over the decades, the Brexiteers always shoot themselves in the foot with their poor/irrelevant numbers and maths.
                    It's still £200-ish per year for every man, woman and child in the UK. If you could knock £800 off a family's tax bill a year I'm sure they'd jump at the chance.

Comment

Working...
                    X