• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

whats managable commute time for you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats managable commute time for you?

Right now at clientco. Back hurts, and feeling tired. 1h 10m one way on good days, up to 2 hours on worse. Not sure if i'll be extending for that reason. No WFH possible (I asked)

Whats your experience? should i suck it up and carry on invoicing?

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    Right now at clientco. Back hurts, and feeling tired. 1h 10m one way on good days, up to 2 hours on worse. Not sure if i'll be extending for that reason. No WFH possible (I asked)

My maximum tolerable commute is 15 hours per week if outside of billable hours, or 25 hours per week if I can bill for work done on the train.

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post

Mine is steps in journey / pain of journey.

Train to London / Leeds /Newcastle ain't a problem but additional bits afterwards are.

Likewise driving into a city center. Will happily drive to outstrips but 30 minutes of stop start traffic every day is a no no
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Mine is steps in journey / pain of journey.

Train to London / Leeds /Newcastle ain't a problem but additional bits afterwards are.

Likewise driving into a city center. Will happily drive to outstrips but 30 minutes of stop start traffic every day is a no no
        yeah that stop start traffic is killing me. Im travelling from manchester to clientco through liverpool city centre. on the top of that , every week or so there's highly congested part of either motorway or town for one reason or another.

Comment

If it's more than an hour each way in good traffic, then I'll look to stay near the ClientCo at least a couple of nights a week.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Have you tried flexing your time? Last few long gig's I arranged to arrive earlier and leave earlier or vice versa to miss the traffic which made the commute considerably shorter. I've also found an Airbnb or hotel and stayed the odd night to do two or more long days and cut the others down to suit the traffic.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Right now I have a manageable train journey which includes this very nice stretch:

Comment

Generally 40 min commute max. That allows for the times when it takes a bit longer, so allow an hour.

I don't do complex commutes (like take two trains and then a taxi type of thing).

Life's too short of that sort of crap. I don't need the money (I like money, but don't need it), so it's about lifestyle not misery for me.

I know people with £600k of mortgage debt to pay, they need the money and will do anything anywhere to get it. Poor sods.

Comment

Depends.

If it is a chauffer driven Limo, then I am happy to spend a whole day commuting with the hookers and champagne.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                    Depends.

If it is a chauffer driven Limo, then I am happy to spend a whole day commuting with the hookers and champagne.

I hope you get a decent tip for cleaning up afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                    X