• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Arbitrary deadlines, here we go again.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arbitrary deadlines, here we go again.

New project manager, new project. We already have a target deadline with only a partial understanding of requirements. Obviously, the project deadline is a guess but will be perceived as a failure if not met.

And relax....

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    New project manager, new project. We already have a target deadline with only a partial understanding of requirements. Obviously, the project deadline is a guess but will be perceived as a failure if not met.

And relax and invoice....
    FTFY

Comment

And relax....
      How have they picked the deadline?

Have they started with the start date, put the tasks in a project plan with dependencies and seen what finish date there is? Or have they made up a date and tried to cram everything in based on that?

NLUK's right about the level of project managers about these days.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

And relax....
        is there any other way?

currently burning through 200 resource hours because the PM guessed. I will probably work 100

4 more of these projects to do so I'm going to have an easy year from these.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Speaking with my old delivery manager hat on, if you put the tasks into a schedule, added the effort and worked to the resulting date, nothing would ever get delivered.

Young people these days......Bah. .....

Comment

Popular delivery dates / can't move end dates.

31/12 and 01/01
            Now + 3 months or now + 6 months
            Company year end / financial year end
            Pointy haired boss's birthday

These deadlines usually have nothing to do with requirements, required effort or anything tangible.

Comment

We already have a target deadline with only a partial understanding of requirements.

Perfect!

"We need something delivered by this date"

"No problem, we'll deliver something. Might not be what you expected/wanted, but you didn't define it so we delivered what we could in the time given, therefore from our side it is a successful project. The failure is in the project management."
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Popular delivery dates / can't move end dates.

31/12 and 01/01
                Now + 3 months or now + 6 months
                Company year end / financial year end
                Pointy haired boss's birthday

These deadlines usually have nothing to do with requirements, required effort or anything tangible.
                I get given fixed dates to plan around fairly often - I'm working with one now. I just need to tell them how much they can have by the deadline.

Comment

I think the owner has guessed a date, the pm has agreed with this and now will do his best to cram things in.

I've pointed out the number of working days to the deadline. I've also asked if the deadline is a guess and will be revised. No reply yet.

I've also said that we don't understand the requirements.

Get this, the deadline is the day I leave for my hols.

So I'm going to attempt to manage the PM.

Also, in the email from the PM he said "touchbase". Should I point this out to him and ask him not to do it again?

Comment

Don't know why I think of this...

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X