• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expats lose referendum vote legal bid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expats lose referendum vote legal bid

They served their country and in return...

Expats lose referendum vote legal bid - BBC News

Two Britons living abroad have lost a High Court battle over the right to vote in June's EU referendum.
    The legal challenge was brought by World War Two veteran Harry Shindler, 94, who lives in Italy, and lawyer and Belgian resident Jacquelyn MacLennan.
    Under law, UK citizens who have lived elsewhere in Europe for more than 15 years are barred from voting.
    But the pair argued the in-out vote on EU membership directly affected them and called for a judicial review.
    They asked the two judges to declare that Section 2 of the EU Referendum Act 2015, which established "the 15-year rule", unlawfully restricted their right to freedom of movement under EU law.
    But Lord Justice Lloyd Jones, sitting with Mr Justice Blake, ruled section 2 did not restrict their rights and rejected their application for judicial review.

Actually it's quite exciting from my point of view. Expats in the EU like myself will become stateless on Brexit, in effect. None will want to return to the UK. My Deutsch accountant thinks it quite likely we'll be granted some special status that includes tax benefits so those with in-demand skills remain.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

...and the pound will drop will through the floor making us all instantly rich

"Brexit brexit"
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Brexit!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Actually it's quite exciting from my point of view. Expats in the EU like myself will become stateless on Brexit, in effect. None will want to return to the UK. My Deutsch accountant thinks it quite likely we'll be granted some special status that includes tax benefits so those with in-demand skills remain.
        I have a route to EU citizenship before the end of a two-year negotiation period. But I will cast my vote anyway to save the poor fools from themselves.

Comment

In their manifesto, the Conservatives pledged to scrap the 15-year rule for expats voting in elections. The government says it remains committed to doing so, but stress that the plan is not connected to the referendum.
          Oh great they can vote for a politician in a country they don't live in but they can't vote on something that will directly affect them
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I'm not sure why this is such a big deal. If you choose to move to another country, you lose your say in the country you've left behind and follow the rules of your new home.

Why is that at all contentious?

Not trying to stir anything, genuine question.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
              I'm not sure why this is such a big deal. If you choose to move to another country, you lose your say in the country you've left behind and follow the rules of your new home.

It is contentious because of the alternative viewpoint:

If you choose to move to another country, you don't lose your say in the country you've left behind.

Comment

Well you can't because you're not allowed to vote in your new country either (apart from EU and local elections) without taking up citizenship. Mind you, members of the Commonwealth can vote in the referendum....
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

because it will have a direct effect on their lives.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Is this the boomer expats getting winter heating allowance for their flat in Malaga?
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                    X