• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Seasonal" Contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Seasonal" Contractor

Hi,

So I was wondering about the feasibility of seasonal contracting. To give you an idea of my position, I'm a CISSP certified Cyber Security Consultant working as a permie at a large consultancy firm. I am also however, a qualified PADI Divemaster with the opportunity to become an instructor. I like my job and I'm not looking to give it all up to make £1000 a month as a diving instructor, but I would consider doing it for a few months at a time between contracts. What is everyone's thoughts? I know it won't be easy, and every time I come back to the UK it will be a bit of a panic to find work. I can also see the being outside the UK and being in (probably) SE Asia for months at a time on an annual basis would be a problem for some roles (e.g. Defence) and my CV would look pretty weird, but what are the other pitfalls I'm not seeing?

Maybe you should re-think your CV. Make it more like a consulting brochure.

Put a website together and up your game.

I have done this for several years, but not always back to the UK. But I have applied for roles while still away, done phone interviews from the beach. Only booked flight when I had something.
    Last edited by alreadypacked; 28 April 2016, 11:54.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
    X