• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news

Expenses fraud ex-MEP Peter Skinner jailed for four years after falsely claiming more than £100,000

A former Labour MEP who falsely claimed more than £100,000 in expenses to fund his lavish lifestyle and pay off his wife following their divorce has been jailed for four years.

Peter Skinner, 56, claimed the maximum staff Parliamentary Assistance Allowance (PAA) over a three-year period while representing the South East of England in the European Parliament.

The loss to the European Parliament is claimed by the prosecution to be £132,434.02 and the judge agreed that the exact figure was "in excess of £100,000".

The politician used the extra money to fund luxury holidays abroad, jewellery and gourmet meals. He even used taxpayers' cash to hire snorkel equipment on a Hawaiian honeymoon after handing his ex-wife £10,000.

Expenses fraud ex-MEP Peter Skinner jailed for four years after falsely claiming more than £100,000

Yes, but our UK MPs continue to take the p•ss and nothing happens...
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

What I found really remarkable was that "only" a hundred thousand was fraudulent - this was based on an expenses claim of £480,000!!!! ( Ex-MEP Peter Skinner jailed for expenses fraud - BBC News )

So £380,000 expenses in 18 months is ok? Five grand a week just in exes for the public "servant", but as a contractor in the private sector you soon won't be able to claim for a sandwich when working away from home. Something here is ****ed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
        So £380,000 expenses in 18 months is ok? Five grand a week just in exes for the public "servant", but as a contractor in the private sector you soon won't be able to claim for a sandwich when working away from home. Something here is ****ed up.
        Who do you think you are - democratically elected representative of the People???

Comment

What I found really remarkable was that "only" a hundred thousand was fraudulent - this was based on an expenses claim of £480,000!!!! ( Ex-MEP Peter Skinner jailed for expenses fraud - BBC News )

Don't worry; "we are all in it together"
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            Don't worry; "we are all in it together"
            Don't worry; "we are all paying for it together"

FTFY

Comment

Don't worry; "A minority are paying for it together"

FTFY
              FTFY
              So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

I got so excited at the title of this thread thinking you had your sofa delivered
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                  I got so excited at the title of this thread thinking you had your sofa delivered
                  I missed deliveries 3 times so it's back to Mars now

Comment

Different theme, but equally good news

Diane Abbott faces £6,500 fine and possible prosecution for missing charity records - Hackney Citizen

Be warned the photo near the top of the article would probably qualify as a war crime and likely an offence against humanity. Please direct any claims for compensation for emotional distress/screen damage due to a fist/eyes gouged out in self defence/any other issues to Admin.

Comment

Working...
                    X