• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Bank of mum and dad' lends £5bn a year in UK, says L&G

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Bank of mum and dad' lends £5bn a year in UK, says L&G

Wonder how much tax will be paid on that...'Bank of mum and dad' lends £5bn a year in UK, says L&G - BBC News
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

No tax, they most likely remortgage primary residence to free up all that lovely free money.

Tax is for idiots working or trying to run a business.

UK property - Free money, tax free, forever!

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      Wonder how much tax will be paid on that...
      If mum and dad die within 7 years of the gift, then, depending on the value of the estate, some inheritance tax may be due.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        If mum and dad die within 7 years of the gift, then, depending on the value of the estate, some inheritance tax may be due.
        I will believe it when I see it.

Looks like a massive tax dodge to me.

Also a huge way to keep the Ponzi debt madness fuelled.

Comment

I don't think it is anything to do with tax.

More to do with it being the only way to get their kids out of the house.

Better still, they should have downsized when the kids went to university....

Comment

Neighbours son & partner have just done a part buy & part rent as the only way they can afford to get on the ladder I suspect with parental help. We are in a fairly well off road.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I will believe it when I see it.

Looks like a massive tax dodge to me.
              How is tax dodged? The laws on gifts and inheritance have been around for a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                How is tax dodged? The laws on gifts and inheritance have been around for a very long time.
                Because it won't be declared?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I don't think it is anything to do with tax.

More to do with it being the only way to get their kids out of the house.

Better still, they should have downsized when the kids went to university....
                  Downsizing. That word seems reserved for escape to the country types who want 5 bedroom detached on two acres!

Comment

Because it won't be declared?
                    Which only matters if mum and dad both die within 7 years of the gifts, and since mum and dad are likely to be still relatively young, the chances of that happening seem quite low. Even if not declared, I doubt very much the treasury would lose much, so you shouldn't lose sleep over it.

Comment

Working...
                    X