• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rip off agent and go direct?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rip off agent and go direct?

Should I be negotiating of going direct (I think i can) with the client on extension? No handcuff clause on the contract
    Obviously better shortterm money but wouldn't that hurt my business in the future? ie. burning bridges with the agent etc.
    Just gathering opinions on this subject.
    Thanks

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    burning bridges with the agent
    WTF is that?

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
      WTF is that?
      not sure, probably the agent wouldn't put me forward ever again i guess.
      Spoke with other contractor @ clientco and he is afraid of that.

Comment

You honestly have no handcuffs in the contract at all?? Wowzers. That's a bit odd.

There could be a handcuff in the upper contract saying the agent has dibs so it's highly likely you won't be able to pull it off. I'd be very careful about a massive legal argument kicking off and the client dropping the both of you as the easy option even if there isn't one in your contract.

Just out of interest what do you think the benefits of going direct are?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Should I be negotiating of going direct (I think i can) with the client on extension? No handcuff clause on the contract
          Obviously better shortterm money but wouldn't that hurt my business in the future? ie. burning bridges with the agent etc.
          Thanks
          There is no handcuff in your contract but can have between your agency and the client.

Comment

That doesn't exist in an agent's book.

Comment

PC ? Unix?

Comment

Thanks
                T&C with client? How long will you have to wait to be paid?
                Some companies have a suppliers list, if you are not on it, then the BU can't do business with you.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

With 656 posts on the forum do you not think you'd be better spending a bit more time learning how to be a contractor rather than dicking about in General?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    You honestly have no handcuffs in the contract at all?? Wowzers. That's a bit odd.

There could be a handcuff in the upper contract saying the agent has dibs so it's highly likely you won't be able to pull it off. I'd be very careful about a massive legal argument kicking off and the client dropping the both of you as the easy option even if there isn't one in your contract.

Just out of interest what do you think the benefits of going direct are?
                    No, for real, no handcuff which i was surprised too as i had it on previous 2 gigs. Now company got new management and been asking me couple of times on different occasion whats my rate (as if they are trying to cut costs). I could always say - let me go direct and meet me in half between what you pay to the agent and agent pays me. I think

Comment

Working...
                    X