• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Money laundering

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money laundering

"A Russian crime lord with connections to the Kremlin laundered millions of pounds through Britain, in an “orgy of spending” on yachts, private jets and even boarding school fees, according to evidence presented to Parliament on Tuesday.

Bank statements and other documents show how the Russian crime gang channeled £20 million through the UK in a fraud committed against a British-owned investment fund based in Moscow, MPs were told.

But Mr Browder has said the money trail should now be investigated by British authorities.

Lawyers acting for Mr Browder have made six attempts dating back to 2010 to force UK law enforcement, including the Metropolitan police, the Serious Fraud Office and the National Crime Agency to open inquiries into the fraud.

Mr Browder told MPs: “There has been an orgy of spending on luxury goods and services in the UK.”

Mr Browder said the evidence showed “for the first time in history a connection between Russian organised crime and spending in the UK" but that British authorities had ignored his pleas to investigate.

He told the committee: "Every time we've filed a complaint nobody has responded. They've always found an excuse not to investigate."

He added: "This city is levitating on a flow of dirty money. If that flow was stopped certain people would find themselves without a business."

Mr Browder also accused the UK government of not wanting to do more to tackle the problem for fear of upsetting influential Russian individuals close to the Putin regime.

He said: "There's a political failing. You don't want to rock the boat. There's so many people benefiting from dirty money here, it becomes a politically toxic issue to address.

"We should not allow Russian torturers and murderers to send and spend their money here."

The sums transferred from Zibar Management included two payments totalling $259,532 (£178,000) to a Colombian woman in March and in May 2012 then living in a £5m home on an estate in Virginia Water in Surrey. (AtW's comment: is it better than Bridgewater, just off M4?)
    "

Source: Russian crimelord accused of 'orgy of spending' in UK

What about Switzerland?

Comment

Mr Browder also accused the UK government of not wanting to do more to tackle the problem for fear of being scrutinised for their own petty pilfering and pocket lining.

FTFY

Comment

Virginia Water is a nice area. The houses have big gates.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          and plenty 'Merkans...
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            "A Russian crime lord with connections to the Kremlin laundered millions of pounds through Britain, in an “orgy of spending” on yachts, private jets and even boarding school fees, according to evidence presented to Parliament on Tuesday."
            Whatever happened to inconspicuous items like coffee tables....?

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
              Whatever happened to inconspicuous items like coffee tables....?
              It's too modern for my liking, just like DimPrawn I prefer classics -

Comment

Today's award for the no tulip sherlock award is.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Good enough for "General" Pinochet. Shame the gates couldn't keep him in, but at least he was cured of dementia during his stay.
                  Virginia Water ought to patent their Alzheimer's curing powers they could make enough to pay for a golf club membership.
                  England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

So, Mr Browder runs investment funds and has tried to get the case heard in the US, but failed because some think he was the one behind the fraud.

In U.S. Money-Laundering Case, Shades Of Russian Corruption 

And why would the British government want to complain about someone spending lots of money in the UK?
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X