• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Helicopter money on its way in a year or so

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helicopter money on its way in a year or so

2016-05-04 Janus's Bill Gross: 'Helicopter money' is coming in a year or so

... Gross said interest rates will stay low for longer, asset prices will continue to be artificially high, and at some point monetary policy will create inflation and markets will be at risk. ...
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Boomed!

Free money from the skies, have we ever lived in better times?

Certainly beats working or saving.

Comment

Comment

100% mortgages back, talk of more QE and more radical policy.

Borrow to let has legs yet. House prices will double in 5 years and keep doing that forever.

The sensible person will be buying houses on any dips, same for stocks. With leverage you will retire a billionaire.

No one alive today will see interest rates above zero again in their lifetime.

Loving it.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          No one alive today will see interest rates above zero again in their lifetime. ...
          WHS.

Back in 2010 I was phoned out of the blue for an economic poll, and among other things was asked when I expected interest rates to start rising (1) Six months, (2) A year, (3) Two years, or (4) Don't know.

When I replied "(5) Not for the foreseeable future, perhaps not in our lifetime", the guy clearly sounded as if he thought I was bonkers and we agreed to leave it as "don't know". But I bet he remembered that and has had second thoughts since.

The only alternative would be runaway inflation, which seems increasingly on the cards now, or else an antiobiotic-resistant worldwide bubonic plague that bumps off half the World's population.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            WHS.

The only alternative would be runaway inflation, which seems increasingly on the cards now, or else an antiobiotic-resistant worldwide bubonic plague that bumps off half the World's population.
            Low interest rates.
            ZIRP
            NIRP
            Endless QE
            Helicopter money

THEN wipe out all the poor people.

The global elite only need so many slaves to serve their hyper yachts and private islands.

Comment

at some point [...] markets will be at risk

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                THEN wipe out all the poor people.

The global elite only need so many slaves to serve their hyper yachts and private islands.
                Tomorrow's Buildings: Construction industry goes robotic - BBC News

Poor people are going to struggle soon. Only the rich and coders will be left.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Tomorrow's Buildings: Construction industry goes robotic - BBC News

Poor people are going to struggle soon. Only the rich and coders will be left.....
                  I read somewhere recently that in only 20 years at least 30% of today's jobs will have been automated, and that sounds perfectly plausible.

The rich had better hope that within 30 or 40 years most of today's poor will have died of old age without having many kids. (Fat chance) ...

Comment

2016-05-04 "Bankers Will Choose To Fly Instead Of Die" - Why Bill Gross Thinks Helicopter Money Is Imminent

No one in 2016 is really addressing the future as we are likely to experience it, and while that future has significant structural headwinds influenced by too much debt and an aging demographic, another heavy gust merits little attention on the political stump. I speak in this Outlook to information technology and the robotization of our future global economy. Virtually every industry in existence is likely to become less labor-intensive in future years as new technology is assimilated into existing business models. Transportation is a visible example as computer driven vehicles soon will displace many truckers and bus/taxi drivers. Millions of jobs will be lost over the next 10-15 years. But medicine, manufacturing and even service intensive jobs are at risk. Investment managers too! Not only blue collar but now white collar professionals are being threatened by technological change.

Nobel Prize winning economist Michael Spence wrote in 2014 that “should the digital revolution continue…The structure of the modern economy and the role of work itself may need to be rethought.” The role of work? Sounds like code for fewer jobs to me. And if so, as author Andy Stern writes in Raising the Floor, a policymaker – a future President or Prime Minister – must recognize that existing government policies have “built a whole social infrastructure based on the concept of a job, and that concept does not work anymore.” In other words, if income goes to technological robots whatever the form, instead of human beings, our culture will change and if so policies must adapt to those changes. As visual proof of this structural change, look at Chart I showing U.S. employment/population ratios over the past several decades. See a trend there? 78% of the eligible workforce between 25 and 54 years old is now working as opposed to 82% at the peak in 2000. That seems small but it’s really huge. We’re talking 6 million fewer jobs. Do you think it’s because Millenials just like to live with their parents and play video games all day? I think not. Technology and robotization are changing the world for the better but those trends are not creating many quality jobs. Our new age economy – especially that of developed nations with aging demographics – is gradually putting more and more people out of work.

Comment

Working...
                    X