• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Preferred Supplier List Agency/Client Dispute - What to do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All,

Had an interview last Friday, all went well and the client wanted to offer me the role.

The interview etc was set up by the department I'd be working with and they were under the assumption the recruiter they were dealing with (lets call them Agency A) were an accepted/preferred agency used by their company. There are other contractors on site working via Agency A.

Obviously to progress this, the HR team needed to get involved and it seems there is a new HR boss there and as part of the work to set things up, it was discovered Agency A are in breach of a particular set of terms of conditions - it looks like they could supply perm and fixed term people but not contractors (even though they have with other contractors on site via Agency A as mentioned).

So it seems they aren't on the preferred list for supplying contractors, the client HR is being really strict about it and seems to want Agency A to meet a lot of criteria to be included as supplying contractors, but Agency A thinks it should remain status quo, seen as they are supplying some already. Its deadlock basically, no one wants to budge. While I want to start and the PM/Devs who interviewed me, wants me to start too!

My question is, there are other agencies advertising this role too, can I go and apply for this role via another accepted agency and all would be ok? Usually I'd imagine this would cause issues, but if the recruitment agency I originally applied via is confirmed to NOT be part of the supplier list (to supply contractors) and/or is in breach of T&C's and the client HR stick by this then it shouldn't be an issue right? Agency A would struggle to get a finders fee if I entered via another agency? OR Do you sense its going to be a nightmare and I'm just stuck in legal hell and I need to write off the role?

In terms of Agency A, although they have a photocopy of my passport, I've not personally signed anything or filled in any forms as yet saying I'm working with them as an agency.

Thanks

S

Ultimately if the client want you there will be a way. From an agent perspective my advice would be to play it with a straight bat with the agency that put you forward for interview

On a few occasions where we've had the 'Prisoner's dilemma' you describe here, I've split the fee to make it happen.
    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

See if the agency that put you forward can go through another agency that is on the PSL.

My current gig is through two agencies, the one on the PSL gets 2% for the privilege of being a preferred supplier....

Comment

Just to update this, light at the end of the tunnel - I'm now going through a different agency, one that the client HR is happy with. The client is having to pay a finders fee to the original agency - so I guess the pressure is on to do a even better job now when I'm there.

Good to see a resolution finally. The new agency I am going through were pretty tough agreeing to my day rate (that I'd already agreed previously) - Makes me despair, I know they need to make money but me going into the client was served on a plate to them due to the problem with the original agency. Recruiters! (I know they aren't all bad but some give the whole industry a bad name)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky1 View Post
          Just to update this, light at the end of the tunnel - I'm now going through a different agency, one that the client HR is happy with. The client is having to pay a finders fee to the original agency - so I guess the pressure is on to do a even better job now when I'm there.

Good to see a resolution finally. The new agency I am going through were pretty tough agreeing to my day rate (that I'd already agreed previously) - Makes me despair, I know they need to make money but me going into the client was served on a plate to them due to the problem with the original agency. Recruiters! (I know they aren't all bad but some give the whole industry a bad name)
          Well done, and thanks for reporting back in.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Well done, and thanks for reporting back in.
            +1
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Nice one... You got something in writing to this accord ?

Comment

Working...
              X