• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dividend tax - things I didnt realise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dividend tax - things I didnt realise

OK so maybe I'm stupid but I didnt realise this...

1) If you pay salary of £8000 (or so) this year, then you can pay another £8k in dividends until you pay dividend tax. I must admit I though you just lost your additional £3K personal allowance and still only got £5K dividend tax free.

2) There is no "grossing up" of dividends anymore (wasnt it x10/9?). So this means £30K dividends is not £33333 gross anymore.
    Last edited by psychocandy; 10 May 2016, 11:48.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

What difference does eight quid make?

Unless you meant £8k - in which case, please explain as it must have gone over my head too!

Comment

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post

Unless you meant £8k - in which case, please explain as it must have gone over my head too!
      He's from South Wales. They fight to the death for £8 in the valleys. HTHBIDI
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Yep thats what my accountant told me, question is whether STJ towers can get by with 32k (16k each for me and Mrs STJ) a year to live on

Comment

Personal allowance (£11k) + £5k divi tax free before paying the new divi tax is how I understand it, rightly or wrongly.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            Personal allowance (£11k) + £5k divi tax free before paying the new divi tax is how I understand it, rightly or wrongly.
            That's how I'd understand it too. Have you asked your accountant™ though?

HYAYA is a Trademark of NLUK Enterprises and has been used under license.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

£8k FIXED!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                He's from South Wales. They fight to the death for £8 in the valleys. HTHBIDI
                You can take my life but you'll never take my Valleeeeeeyyyyyyyssss!

BTW - you do know that the valleys is only part of south wales don't you? The cities, for instance, are most definitely NOT in the valleys.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                  Yes thats what my accountant told me. Can't work out in my head how the removal of grossing up makes that much difference though?

Apart from meaning your gross is now less into the next tax bracket? i.e. £30K is now £30K not £33.33K. (I guess £3.33K into 40% means 32.5% on this now not 7.5% so few quid if your close to or over the 40%). Am I right here?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    2) There is no "grossing up" of dividends anymore (wasnt it x10/9?). So this means £30K dividends is not £33333 gross anymore.
                    Correct. Even though you'll be paying more tax than before, if you are taking the optimum salary and dividends up to the higher rate threshold then strictly speaking your overall take-home will increase (in other words instead of feeling the effect of the dividend tax in your own pocket, it will impact your company profits instead).

Comment

Working...
                    X