• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear : Aussie Mozzie calls women 'uncovered meat'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear : Aussie Mozzie calls women 'uncovered meat'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/6086374.stm

Australian cleric in dress furore

Sheikh Hilali is Australia's most senior Muslim cleric.

Australia's most senior Muslim cleric has been accused of saying that some women are attracting sexual assault by the way they dress.

In a sermon, Sheikh Taj el-Din al-Hilali said that women who did not wear a hijab (head dress) were like "uncovered meat".

A transcript of the sermon has been published in an Australian newspaper.

Leading Muslim women have condemned the comments, as has the government, which called on him to apologise.

But a spokesman for Sheikh Hilali said the quote had been taken out of context and referred not to sexual assault but to sexual infidelity.

Sheikh Hilali's critics have previously accused him of praising suicide bombers and claiming the attacks in the United States on 11 September 2001 were "God's work against oppressors".

The cleric's latest comments came in a sermon delivered to some 500 worshippers in Sydney last month.

"If you take out uncovered meat and place it outside... and the cats come and eat it... whose fault is it, the cats' or the uncovered meat?" he asked.

The uncovered meat is the problem, he went on to say.

"If she was in her room, in her home, in her hijab, no problem would have occurred," he added.

Sheikh Hilali also condemned women who swayed suggestively and wore make-up, implying they attracted sexual assault.

"Then you get a judge without mercy... and gives you 65 years," he added.

High-profile case

The BBC's Nick Bryant in Sydney says the comments are seen as particularly insensitive because Sydney was the scene six years ago of a series of gang rapes committed by a group of Lebanese Australians, who received long prison sentences.

Finance Minister Peter Costello called on Muslims to condemn the speech.

"If you have a significant religious leader like this preaching to a flock in a situation where we've had gang rapes, in a way that seems to make it justifiable, then people that listen to that kind of comment can get the wrong idea," he said.

"They can actually think that it's not as bad as it is."

A number of leading Muslim women have already spoken out against the sermon, describing it as repulsive and offensive.

Federal Sex Discrimination Commissioner Pru Goward said the comments could be an incitement to crime.

"Young Muslim men who now rape women can cite this in court, can quote this man... their leader in court," she told Australian media.

She added that the cleric should be deported for inciting rape.

But a spokesman for Sheikh Hilali said his comments had been misconstrued and that they referred to sexual infidelity rather than sexual assault.

The sermon was targeted against men and women who engaged in extra-marital sex and did so through alluring types of clothes, he said.
    Vieze Oude Man

Time for a deportation order I think.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves
      Time for a deportation order I think.
      NO!!!! He'll come to the UK
      Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Time for another CIA rendition, 1-way ticket to Camp X-Ray. It’s the only way to be sure…
        "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

"uncovered meat". |Was he thinking of donner kebabs?
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Did someone mention kebabs?

MMMMMMmmmoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Comment

Well

I bet the Aussies are going to love that.

I bet they wont give him a council house and benefits.

Hopefully they will set an example for some twat who is religiously justifying gang rape.

IMHO they should send him somewhere, where his ankles are exposed becuase his prison issue trousers are too short, which will no doubt sexually tittilate a whole load of Aussie lags, and then at least he can say, based on practical experience, that he has a point;-)
              There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

One always wonders why they can't tolerate women in "western dress". Sounds like he's a bit poo poo'd over the recent gang rap convictions recently handed out vs. the racist abuse muslims receive in Oz. Neverminding that the muslims also dish out their own racist abuse the other way...Typical.

We get the same crap up here. Villagers with village attidues telling us we're the stupid ones. GO HOME...and don't come back is what I feel like saying sometimes.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                X