• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you train your key skills to a permanent staff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you train your key skills to a permanent staff

I need some help as I'm being asked to train and teach some of my digital analytics implementation and analysis skills to some permanent employees in my current contract place. It does happen but more like on the job training whilst working on something myself but here I'm explicitly asked to transfer my skills which I've learned after years of research and experience from working on this field. Can the company legally ask me for this and am I allowed to do this.

I'm thinking about this because if I join companies for my rare skills and then I start transferring this skill and knowledge to permanent staff, then there won't be any requirment for me in a company for more than a month or two.

Unless contract said skills transfer is the objective I would not.

Comment

Really? You can transfer all your skills and experience to some permies in a few months?

If thats the case then your skills and experience "ain't all that".

Comment

Originally posted by webanalyst View Post
        Can the company legally ask me for this and am I allowed to do this.
        Legally? Allowed? Oh dear. They can ask what they want. If it's not in the contract you've got the right to say no and of course you are allowed to do it.
        I'm thinking about this because if I join companies for my rare skills and then I start transferring this skill and knowledge to permanent staff, then there won't be any requirment for me in a company for more than a month or two.
        At the end of the day you are a contractor brought in to do a set piece of work and you leave. If you are lucky you get extended. Ultimately you aren't going to be there forever so skills transfer shouldn't be a problem and it seems pretty reasonable for a client to in house skills where they can.
        I can see why you might be a bit aggrevied giving away your hard earned knowledge but worrying that a client wont want you after a few months would make me think your skills aren't that difficult to transfer.
        In that time I'd say you'll transfer the ability to do what they need but not you ability to deliver the skills to any situation at any client.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Discuss setting up a formal course for the staff for a week (say) and bill for it, include the time to prep for the course and bill for it. Officil training courses cost, last one I went on (few years ago) was a 4 day Spring training course, cost 4 grand.

Comment

I've always handed knowledge over. Never done me any harm at all. You are not indespensible. If you behave as though you are, expect short contracts.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
              Discuss setting up a formal course for the staff for a week (say) and bill for it, include the time to prep for the course and bill for it. Officil training courses cost, last one I went on (few years ago) was a 4 day Spring training course, cost 4 grand.
              ^ this - you can milk this and setup basic, intermediate & advanced courses
              Something to add to the cv and means the permies will always look to you as the SME
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                I've always handed knowledge over. Never done me any harm at all. You are not indespensible. If you behave as though you are, expect short contracts.
                ^ This

Although there is a difference between this and formal training. I wouldn't be expecting to hold formal training for the permies. Advice and guidance, yeah alright.... We get the big bucks because we are better than the tulip they have on site 9/10 and there is always something of an expectation your going to help improve what they have, at least in my personal experience.
                Last edited by dx4100; 11 May 2016, 07:27.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                  Agree with this. Some knowledge transfer I see as being part of the deal as a contractor - you've got the greater experience and skills, and I think part of what any client expects is that not only will you directly improve their product/systems while you're there, but that you will bring their permies along in terms of understanding as well, even if it's just so they know what you've done and why.

However this sounds like much more formal "training" which I wouldn't expect to do unless it was part of the contract, so as SlipTheJab suggests, I would explain that you're happy to run a course but it's outside the scope of your existing contract so you would need to set up a separate agreement and the rate would be significantly higher - they shouldn't expect you to train potentially a dozen or more employees for the cost of your normal day rate (I expect they know this and are hoping for some cheap training though).

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
                    Agree with this. Some knowledge transfer I see as being part of the deal as a contractor - you've got the greater experience and skills, and I think part of what any client expects is that not only will you directly improve their product/systems while you're there, but that you will bring their permies along in terms of understanding as well, even if it's just so they know what you've done and why.

However this sounds like much more formal "training" which I wouldn't expect to do unless it was part of the contract, so as SlipTheJab suggests, I would explain that you're happy to run a course but it's outside the scope of your existing contract so you would need to set up a separate agreement and the rate would be significantly higher - they shouldn't expect you to train potentially a dozen or more employees for the cost of your normal day rate (I expect they know this and are hoping for some cheap training though).
                    After all (from the companies point of view) there is no harm in trying. But Remember that the course will take some time to write so allow preparation time
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X