• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

migrants - the missing millions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

migrants - the missing millions

In the five years from July 2010, the ONS estimated that just under a million EU nationals moved to Britain. But during the same period, the Government gave arrivals from the EU more than 2.2 million National Insurance numbers. In four of the last five years, the gap between the two figures has widened.

Working out the reason for dry statistical discrepancies might normally be the preserve of academics. But this time it could have significant political consequences: the ONS is due to publish a study explaining the difference – together with fresh estimates of short-term migration– on Thursday, a little over a month before the EU referendum in which immigration has become a crucial battleground.
    The only answer is BREXIT!

The missing million: Are we undercounting Britain's immigrants? 
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    But Norway Nexited and Switzerland Swexited and they still have more migrants per capita than us. Doh!
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

why do you think brexit would help tacke migration?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          But Norway Nexited and Switzerland Swexited and they still have more migrants per capita than us. Doh!
          evidence...

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
            why do you think brexit would help tacke migration?
            We can tell them all to fark off.

Comment

evidence...
              If EU migration is the problem, Switzerland and Norway are not the answer - Telegraph
              EU immigration: Norway and Switzerland

Besides we quite clearly need immigrants who can use their intelligence to do simple things that some natives cannot do like searching the internet for evidence.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

If EU migration is the problem, Switzerland and Norway are not the answer - Telegraph

Besides we quite clearly need immigrants who can use their intelligence to do simple things that some natives cannot do like searching the internet for evidence.
                You're the one stating it - WTF should I look it up!

The source looks like vomit to me.

Comment

Personally, I don't think Brexit will impact migration all that much, because there isn't the political will to deal with it. This is evidenced by the non-EU net migration figures. That being said, I'm glad that Vote Leave is now internally consistent in wanting to "leave" the single market, because that's the only way to achieve a meaningful reduction in unskilled migration. Yes, there's a cost, but you need to convince me about that cost as measured per capita of the native population (i.e. in terms of productivity). Overall growth is meaningless. OTOH, so-called single-market regulations (mostly, they're nothing of the kind), must incur a large hit in terms of productivity. Open Europe have had a stab at this, but it's a stab in the dark.

Comment

That's why I'm going to London

Comment

Working...
                    X