• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BTL DOOM

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTL DOOM

Landlords should be squealing under George Osbornes crackdown, Treasury minister suggests

Buy To Let - I have no problem with.

Borrow To Let - No, the cheap easy central bank money is meant for productive businesses is not for pushing up the price of homes and making property spekulators rich and renters poor. Sorry, it's distorting the market it must be stopped completely.

Comment

Party until the music stops...
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Yup, will to be interesting if we see interest rates go up sharply if we get the shock Brexit. Would stuff a lot of BTLers up. And a lot of people who have over-borrowed on their main residences. Could be carnage.

Comment

Squeal piggy squeal.

"We wanted to make the case that we have a history of a significant contribution to housing and that this crackdown is unfair and prejudiced."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Rachman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_van_Hoogstraten

Maggie wanted everyone to own their own home. Not homes. Home. Her wishes should be respected.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
            Yup, will to be interesting if we see interest rates go up sharply if we get the shock Brexit. Would stuff a lot of BTLers up. And a lot of people who have over-borrowed on their main residences. Could be carnage.
            If(and we stand more chance of seeing an assguru post not full of bile) there is a BrExit the pound would collapse. Interest rates would not rise. There would be a huge UK economic boom.

Actually that is a lie. No-one has any idea of the economic impact of stay/leave.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              If(and we stand more chance of seeing an assguru post not full of bile) there is a BrExit the pound would collapse. Interest rates would not rise. There would be a huge UK economic boom.

Actually that is a lie. No-one has any idea of the economic impact of stay/leave.
              I don't know about the chances of Brexit, all the polls are uneven and not a reflection of turnout and what slips there may be in the next few weeks. A few wrong turns could see either side lose credibility and attract the fence sitters like me.

I think that's the nub of it. No-one knows exactly what will happen so all the hoo-hah to date is speculation from vested interests in one outcome or the other.

The chances are that whatever happens some people will benefit from it and some will be battered by it. That's life.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                Brexit is expected to lead UK into recession and hence will result in interest rates coming down.

Though of course, no one really knows what in or out will actually result in

Comment

This article is so devoid of anything useful, that it could have been written by an 8 year old - probably like most of the Tories' manifesto on housing policy.

Comment

Over 1m BTL mortgages taken out under 13 years of Labour government, all subsidised by the tax payer.

Landlords have benefitted from a massive boom in property prices in recent years, mostly on borrowed money. You would struggle to find many other investments where you would be able to put 5% or 10% deposit down and borrow the rest.

I have no problem with BTL itself, indeed I may even have one myself in the near future. However, it gets unfair tax breaks as an investment, tax breaks over home buyers, and it has driven the price of houses out of the reach of many. Contrary to what the landlords may think, they haven't done society a great favour in recent years, although to be fair, they were encouraged by the Labour government who believed in rental rather than ownership.

Tory policy has always been home ownership. I can't see levelling the playing field a bit as a problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X