• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

some people really do live in a throwaway society

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some people really do live in a throwaway society

just bought a £800 laptop on ebay for £60 !

Some silly mare has just sold me a £800 6th gen i5 laptop that would not switch on for £60 and is including the receipt with the laptop when she sends it to me.
    The thing i do not understand is she bought it in Dec 2015 so is still under warranty.

Where do i find people like this that drive BMW`s and Merc`s with flat batteries and dead indicator bulbs , or houses with yellowing gloss paintwork

Last edited by unemployed; 17 May 2016, 13:13.

Sounds like she's done a good job of cleaning all the coffee off the keyboard then.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Sounds like she's done a good job of cleaning all the coffee off the keyboard then.
      already confirmed no liquid damage

Comment

YMMV but it's a standard trick, sell an item that is beyond reasonable repair. Advertise it as having some fault that would be easy to fix, but (I can't be bothered with the hassle || I've got a new model now || I never used it much anyway) sell as spares only, no returns.

Buyer gets it, realises it's a more complex job, the cycle starts again..
        Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
        "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

When you take it back to PC World, remember to sign your name P. Gadd
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Was it an auction or a buy-it-now?
            If an auction, then the closing price of £60 would suggest that others had reservations about it.
            Hope it works out though!

Comment

Originally posted by unemployed View Post
              Some silly mare has just sold me a £800 6th gen i5 laptop that would not switch on for £60 and is including the receipt with the laptop when she sends it to me.
              As you haven't received it yet it is too earlier to tell if she is a silly mare or you are a gullible fool.

Comment

I'm often amazed at the goodies on sale in charity shops, which people have simply given away.

But equally I can sometimes see why a thing ended up in one, such as a butter dish that is too small or shallow, or a vase that is too unstable or narrow etc.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by unemployed View Post
                  just bought a £800 laptop on ebay for £60 !

£800 6th gen i5 laptop that would not switch on for £60 and is including the receipt with the laptop when she sends it to me.
                  Hopefully a good bargain.
                  and not
                  I) 'alf inched (receipt would suggest not, unless 'alfed just bought receipt'n'all from a car backseat)
                  2) no show

"a teenager from South Wales admitted stealing £45,000 by selling non-existent electronic equipment to eBay users

The 17-year-old from Pontypool, who cannot be identified because of his age, conned more than 100 people into thinking they had bought cheap mobile phones, computers, games and consoles. Buyers sent cheques but never received the goods.

The boy, who will be sentenced at Newport Crown Court next month, funded an extravagant lifestyle that included a trip to New York and nights out in stretch limousines."

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
                    Hopefully a good bargain.
                    and not
                    I) 'alf inched (receipt would suggest not, unless 'alfed just bought receipt'n'all from a car backseat)
                    2) no show

"a teenager from South Wales admitted stealing £45,000 by selling non-existent electronic equipment to eBay users

The 17-year-old from Pontypool, who cannot be identified because of his age, conned more than 100 people into thinking they had bought cheap mobile phones, computers, games and consoles. Buyers sent cheques but never received the goods.

The boy, who will be sentenced at Newport Crown Court next month, funded an extravagant lifestyle that included a trip to New York and nights out in stretch limousines."
                    On an unrelated story, how is PC's eldest?
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X