• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rates - local vs London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rates - local vs London

For those of us living outside of London but taking contracts there from time to time what sort of premium do you tend to charge?

Although it's commutable from where I am on a daily basis, for tough contracts it is better to stay in London for the duration. For the cost of travel/accommodation I reckon there is a premium of probably a minimum of £75 per day (although more realistically probably £100+) for London vs local. What sort of premium does anyone living outside of the M25 and probably 75+ miles from London tend to think is reasonable?

For the extra time/cost I factor in £200/day premium min. If it don't cover that, I ain't interested.

Comment

I charge the market rate, and the market rate will determine whether it is worth the hassle and cost of commuting.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        For the extra time/cost I factor in £200/day premium min. If it don't cover that, I ain't interested.
        Ditto its 90 notes a day for first class train to London plus a tenner for lunch, times by two (hassle factor) = 200 notes a day.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
          Ditto its 90 notes a day for first class train to London plus a tenner for lunch, times by two (hassle factor) = 200 notes a day.
          Or if you are staying in central London instead, £200/day covers a hotel and some food out. Just.

Comment

Market rates have dictated that it's typically £200/day better in London than up north. That's enough for me. A badly-paid London gig v well-paid northern gig is more of a judgement call.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              I charge the market rate, and the market rate will determine whether it is worth the hassle and cost of commuting.
              That's the reply of a politician! Although I know what you're saying...

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
              Realistically I'd been thinking it's more like £150+ per day although for accommodation in London during the summer I think you'd be lucky to find anything at less than £100 per night.

Having worked at Canary Wharf for a long while I found the cost of hotels could vary massively so one night you'd be able to get £40 then for the rest of the week you'd be looking at £200+.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                That's the reply of a politician! Although I know what you're saying...

Comment

Harsh...

But then of course this is an internet forum.
                  Last edited by ShandyDrinker; 17 May 2016, 14:03.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Market rates have dictated that it's typically £200/day better in London than up north. That's enough for me. A badly-paid London gig v well-paid northern gig is more of a judgement call.
                    I'm in the South West and would say that rates are very similar to those in the North West.

For similar .Net development roles, for example, advertised rates are typically £150-£200 per day less than those in London.

Comment

Working...
                    X