• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government unlikely to meet 2020 housebuilding target says Redrow boss

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Government unlikely to meet 2020 housebuilding target says Redrow boss

Taken from Mortgage Solutions:

Further doubt has been cast on the government’s housebuilding target as Redrow’s chief executive John Tutte said it was unlikely that one million new homes will be built by 2020.

Speaking at the Instinctif Great Housing Debate, Tutte said that while the government looked set to miss its overall goal, the number of homes being built on an annual basis was on the rise.

He said: “The government originally set out to deliver one million over the course of the parliament at an average of 200,000 a year. Well we’re now into the second year of delivering the government’s housebuilding target and we’ve not hit that annual target yet. Having said that, the latest figures I’ve seen show that the industry should hit 200,000 new homes per year within the next 18 months.

“I don’t think we’ll achieve the government’s target of one million but I do think the industry will actually exceed the target of 200,000 per year at some stage.”

In addition to the government’s ambitious goal to build one million homes within the course of this parliament, it also hopes to build an extra 200,000 to be used as part of its Starter Homes Initiative, which will be sold at a 20% discount to first-time buyers under the age of 40.

However, Tutte said this was a target also likely to be out of reach for the industry.

“The problem that the government has also had is that its Starter Homes Initiative has been a bit of fiasco in trying to get it approved in parliament. I can’t see the number of Starter Homes that the government has pledged to build being achieved either.”

All those lovely new rabbit hutches, with paper thin walls, no garden, no privacy, and parking problems.

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      All those lovely new rabbit hutches, with paper thin walls, no garden, no privacy, and parking problems.

Multiply that image a 1000 times and that's Swindon. They build one of those every week.

They don't however build any new major roads, or decent schools, or decent shopping, or footpaths and certainly no cycle paths.

Just identikit houses like that jammed in, copy and paste, over and over again.

What's not to like eh?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Multiply that image a 1000 times and that's Swindon. They build one of those every week.

They don't however build any new major roads, or decent schools, or decent shopping, or footpaths and certainly no cycle paths.

Just identikit houses like that jammed in, copy and paste, over and over again.

What's not to like eh?
        And Chippenham, and Melksham, and Calne.

There are provisions in local planning to push for schools and shops to be built. The council are muppets, drinking in the same lodge as the developers.

These tulip boxes cost £30k to build and sell for £300k.

It's rotten. Rotten to the core.

Comment

At least in the USA they have regular hurricanes and tornadoes to cull the crappily built housing.

Though they don't appear to know the tale of the three little piggies, and still build them in wood.

The house building companies over there must be raking it in, rebuilding the same house over and over again.

It's a bit more of a long game in the UK with wooden frame and plaster board new builds. I wonder what the life expectancy of those are. May become a factor if they keep lengthening mortgages beyond the typical 25 years so they are unmortgageable from day 1.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            Though they don't appear to know the tale of the three little piggies, and still build them in wood. ...
            or the three million little termites.

Thank God we don't have those pests here in the UK
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              or the three million little termites.

Thank God we don't have those pests here in the UK

Maybe they're the natural solution to the invasion of the Japanese knotweed.

That battle was covered in episode 11 of The Pacific.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Think you could change the thread title to 'Government unlikely to hit any target ever'.

Borrowing, house building, Inflation, job creation, education.....you named it, this lot have ****ed it up.
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  Think you could change the thread title to 'Government unlikely to hit any target ever'.

Borrowing, house building, Inflation, job creation, education.....you named it, this lot have ****ed it up.
                  They've create millions of jobs. By forcing employers into the path of sacking one full time member of staff, and hiring two part timers on lower pay with less benefits.

Bingo, lots more jobs!

Comment

Everyone can own their own home...

Comment

Working...
                    X