• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you are still undecided on the EU, here is a simple solution

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are still undecided on the EU, here is a simple solution

2016-05-17 Undecided on the EU referendum? Here is a simple solution

When I resigned from my job as director general of the British Chambers of Commerce it was because I wanted to speak freely about Brexit.

I have 35 years of business experience at the top of large corporates and as an entrepreneur having co-founded a successful tech business, I have interacted with the EU throughout that time.

I have seen its workings up close. I was involved in the first deregulation task force under Margaret Thatcher, the single market programme and have been chairman of the CIES International standards committee for food and consumer products.

My time with the Health and Safety Commission provided ample opportunity to observe the regulatory burden from Brussels and I was able to see the interaction of UK policy with that of the EU as a Competition Commissioner.

I had always been a healthy Eurosceptic. Yet I believed it was worth working from within the EU in an effort to reform it.

At the beginning of this year I came to a crossroads.

Firstly, the Prime Minister returned from two years of supposed negotiations with an agreement about as reliable as the one with which Neville Chamberlain returned from Munich in 1938.

It was, in other words, not worth the paper it was written on. It became clearer than ever that the EU is a political project that is incapable of meaningful reform.

Secondly, I was appalled by the fact that the Prime Minister, having been unable to achieve any meaningful reforms, had decided we would be better off remaining in the EU.

Both excellent points, and the rest of the article is also well worth reading.

:::

The former governor of the Bank of England says nearly as much in his recent book, warning of the folly and danger of the eurozone project and leaving me with the impression that we should not be in the same room when it explodes.

By contrast, the Prime Minister and the Remain campaign prefers the company of bureaucrats and technocrats who depend upon the continuation of the eurozone and its further integration for their position and power, their pay and pensions.

Just as Christine Lagarde is part of the European elite and her organisation, the IMF, is funded by the European Commission and the UK Government, so are many other organisations who make up the cronies of the Remain campaign.

:::

Or perhaps we should listen to the US banks who are funding the Remain campaign. The same banks who brought us the Great Recession and the credit default swaps that bet against the financial system and the survival of Greece.

My strong advice to the undecided is that if you cannot discern the truth from the facts, instead apply the old adage of “judging a person by the company they keep”.

People of good faith who are not beholden to anybody and have only the interests of Britain at heart, or the self-serving vested interests who want us to remain locked into the EU. And then vote accordingly on June 23.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Liverpool fans seem to quite like Europe

(Unless they lose that is...)
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      My strong advice to the undecided is that if you cannot discern the truth from the facts, instead apply the old adage of “judging a person by the company they keep”.
      Indeed. On one side you've got the leader of every country in the free world plus the IMF, on the other you've got Putin, Farage, Boris and Trump.

And that's from someone leaning towards Leave!
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Indeed. On one side you've got the leader of every country in the free world plus the IMF, on the other you've got Putin, Farage, Boris and Trump.

I'm in with those boys at least it will be a decent post election piss up whichever way it goes.

:-)

Comment

Likewise. The only person you didn't include in that list is Gove and that doesn't help at all (I've met him)..
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

How typical of you to be unable to discern the truth from the facts, and fall into line like a good little conformist
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Yes I admit I do find discerning truth from facts difficult. Possibly because they're the same thing. Not to mention that I said I was leaning toward voting Leave. You're only supporting my argument really by being a prime thicko.

As to your argument... you're the guy who can't believe everyone else in the orchestra is playing out of time?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Liverpool fans seem to quite like Europe

(Unless they lose that is...)
                And there's the brexit
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  And there's the brexit
                  Not for the first time...
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Paraphrasing a fictional character (Raylan Givens): "If you see assholes everywhere you're an asshole."

Paraphrasing that statement: Brexit, Bremain, it's all assholes. Stand upwind instead.

Paraphrasing that statement:

Just do the vote already. I'm sure our lives will all change for the better whichever way it goes.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                    X