• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Implied Contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implied Contracts

Hello everyone,

New to the forum and looking for some advice.

I have been contracting with an organisation for 14 months now and have recently had my contract terminated. I was informed of this on Tuesday and told my last day was tomorrow (Friday 19th May).

In September 2015, I renewed my contract for 6 months, in writing, with a 1 month notice period and an end date of 4th March. At no point around or since the expiry was extension, variation etc. discussed and I have continued to turn up for work, paid the same daily rate with no other changes.

Following being informed of the termination, I've discussed the matter of my notice period and been told, effectively, that this won't be honoured.

Before kick up a fuss / looking to sue the organisation I was hoping to garner some opinion on the likelihood of the contract terms, particularly the notice period being implied to continue.

I appreciate that there are other issues to consider - networks, burning bridges etc. but hope someone can shed some light on the above.

Thanks in advance!

Are you paid based on signed timesheets? How are you going to work the extra days if you don't get them signed? They are under no obligation to provide you work (unless you're under IR35 with an appropriate MoO clause).

If they want to can you at no notice, they will. They'll make something up.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You really need to show a loss to be sure of a win. Trying to go for money you've not earned and wouldn't have got as per your contractual terms (assuming it's in there) isn't going to be straight forward.

It happens and is fortunately quite rare but part and parcel for us.

If you've got IPSE+ you can claim 1000 quid via the business interruption clause. Pocket that and just move on IMO.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Your contract is with the agency. If you have any issues it will be the agency you will be suing.

So you need to read your contract and make sure you understand all the termination conditions in it before suing them.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by emc1985 View Post
          Hello everyone,

New to the forum and looking for some advice.

I have been contracting with an organisation for 14 months now and have recently had my contract terminated. I was informed of this on Tuesday and told my last day was tomorrow (Friday 19th May).

In September 2015, I renewed my contract for 6 months, in writing, with a 1 month notice period and an end date of 4th March. At no point around or since the expiry was extension, variation etc. discussed and I have continued to turn up for work, paid the same daily rate with no other changes.

Following being informed of the termination, I've discussed the matter of my notice period and been told, effectively, that this won't be honoured.

Before kick up a fuss / looking to sue the organisation I was hoping to garner some opinion on the likelihood of the contract terms, particularly the notice period being implied to continue.

I appreciate that there are other issues to consider - networks, burning bridges etc. but hope someone can shed some light on the above.

Thanks in advance!
          FFS....

Comment

You get paid to perform a service - either on a time/materials basis or on a fixed fee basis to deliver something specific.

If that piece of work is completed, or is cancelled, then there is no longer any work for you left to do. Do you expect to get paid for doing nothing?

You're thinking about this all wrong. Your extension was up to the beginning of March. They were under no obligation to offer you any more work but presumably they still needed you so continued to pay you for your services. Now they no longer need you. The reality is you've managed to get an additional couple of months work out of this client than you originally expected.

Time to move on and find a new gig - to be honest you should have started looking when your previous renewal expired because it was inevitable they were either going to a) offer you another formal extension or b) get rid of you at some point in the near future.

Comment

I was planning to convert the garage and had my builder all lined up to do it, we agreed a price to be paid upon completion, circumstances changed and I decided not to progress it, my builder still expected to get paid and sued me for the money... OP if this sounds ridiculous to you then I suggest to rethink your original post.

Comment

Can you tell me why you continued to go to the ClientCo site and carry out work without a contract?
                For me if there is no valid contract then there are no rights.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Friday 19th of May isn't until 2017 so you've got another year of billing, boomed!

Comment

It is likely, but not certain, that a court would view the tems in the expired contract as continuing.

there may, or may not, be a contractual obligation to pay the notice period. It depends on exactly what is in the contract. A "we don't have to give you any work and will only pay on signed timesheets" does not, of itself, defeat it.

Comment

Working...
                    X