• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Old Thickos versus Young Educated

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Thickos versus Young Educated

EU referendum: Polls reveal divided nation - BBC News

Basically polls show, the ABC1, young will vote in, old C2DE will vote out.

Which just goes to prove education is a wonderful thing.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    EU referendum: Polls reveal divided nation - BBC News

Basically polls show, the ABC1, young will vote in, old C2DE will vote out.

Which just goes to prove education is a wonderful thing.

Is this your way of saying that you're voting out?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I'm confused. They seem to have found a way to compare apples to elephants and think that its news worthy or relevant...

now if they want to show young ABC1 against the same class in their 60% we there might be something that we can find out.

But I doubt it...

Comment

Also proves that free healthcare is a bad thing. If everybody was dead by 40 there'd be no need for a referendum.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

They are also missing the minor detail that in the 70s we voted to join a free trade association, not an unrepresentative Federated European bureaucracy with three unelected presidents.

It's not the old ones that are misguided.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Just because they hand out degrees with cornflakes nowadays doesn't mean the old uns are stupid.

As Mal said, we were caught by the bait & switch, if you want to buy into that go for it. We don't.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Is this another thread about the same BS?

For those of you banging on about leaving, do you ever contract in Europe? How do you expect that will change if we are no longer part of it?

If we leave, I expect 2-3 years of great rates for the likes of me as we convert UK and EU systems to cope with the changes to Intrastat/cross border shipping. People who work in "banking" or other virtual businesses will not notice, nor will those who do not supply (or purchase) in the EU.

So, a couple of years of good rates like we had in 1999-2001 and then we'll experience another 2002-2004 slump in IT spend.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

// 'Old' Brexiters say: Ah yes, K&R style
                // 'Young' Bremainers say: What do the stars mean ?

void swap(int *a, int *b)
                {
                int temp = *a;
                *a = *b;
                *b = temp;
                }

int main()
                {
                int a = 2;
                int b = 3;
                swap(&a, &b);
                }

Comment

The issue for the remain party is how to get those young educated to actually go and vote because I don't know many youngsters that have even a passing interest in what's happening, unless it forces up the price of smartphones or xbox games then there is little chance of most of them leaving their bedrooms to go and vote.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    For those of you banging on about leaving, do you ever contract in Europe? How do you expect that will change if we are no longer part of it?
                    There is little benefit to working in Europe that I can see. The rates that are offered can be bettered at home and the local tax laws make using your legal UK business a pain in the arse if you want to work in Germany or most of the other European countries... Compare that with being a UK employee bussed around the globe in a company like HP or IBM they can do what the hell they like. So would I be upset that they lose out? No not in the slightest.

If we leave, I expect 2-3 years of great rates for the likes of me as we convert UK and EU systems to cope with the changes to Intrastat/cross border shipping. People who work in "banking" or other virtual businesses will not notice, nor will those who do not supply (or purchase) in the EU.
                    Yes i agree, the more change the better it becomes for government projects. It's going to be even better next year due to the fact there will be a massive amount of turmoil as IR35 and SDC gets beaten to death as they try and make it work for contractors...

So, a couple of years of good rates like we had in 1999-2001 and then we'll experience another 2002-2004 slump in IT spend.
                    More like a Decade or two. When have you ever seen a government department make and stick to a decision in a timely manner? Now think it through, as they start to change the systems, New trade agreements will also start to be made and so even more changes will need to be made to the stuff you are already changing so longer contracts and more money

Im getting to the point that the remain camp are laying on their claims so damn thick I am going to vote for an OUT vote just to see how much damage we can do to the country out of spite.

Comment

Working...
                    X