• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who does more overtime in your company?contractors or permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who does more overtime in your company?contractors or permie

Since there are different opinions, here is the poll.
    Contractors
    50.00%
    Permies
    50.00%
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

I don't do overtime as no-one wants to pay for it. If someone wants to contract me for 8 hours a day, that's what they get. If they want more, they have to pay more, but they never want to so it's tough.

Doing work for free is not acceptable. This is a capitalist society after all.
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

I'm contracted at the moment for a "Professional Working Week" based on 42 hours, but can be between 37 and 48; I don't get any OT until the 49th hour. Unless it's weekends or BH of course.

In my last role (permie) most of the permies did some overtime, but the contractors hardly any......

I guess it depends a lot on the company and the people; regardless of them being permie or a contractor.

Comment

I'm on a day rate, so no overtime. Permies get o/t, but they have to go on call at silly times (weekends) and they'd have to pay me shedloads to do that.
        Some day I do 12 hours and only get paid for a day, some days I do 2 hours and still get paid for a day. It all evens itself out (I make sure it does) and everyone's happy. Especially me.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
          I'm on a day rate, so no overtime. Permies get o/t, but they have to go on call at silly times (weekends) and they'd have to pay me shedloads to do that.
          Some day I do 12 hours and only get paid for a day, some days I do 2 hours and still get paid for a day. It all evens itself out (I make sure it does) and everyone's happy. Especially me.
          That's acceptable. What I find unacceptable is the tendancy for the client to turn you into a boiled frog (you get thrown in at the deep end and expected to keep the company afloat by devoting your entire life to the place).

I have lots of techie toys that need attention in the evening you know. Oh and a family
          Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
          X