• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PCP Car Frustration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCP Car Frustration

My 3 year PCP car offer comes to an end in Aug and I have received a letter from the dealer around what to do next.

When the deal was agreed, my guaranteed future valued was stated. However in the letter received it states that I will owe more on the car than the gfv, making the final repayment higher than the gfv. I thought gfv is the same as what is owed at the end of the term ? What’s more the valuation on the car is stated as lower than the gfv. So I would be paying more than the gfv if I decided to buy outright, for a car that is worth less than the gfv. This doesn’t seem right.

This is the first PCP deal I have done, and the intention was to pay off the balance at the end of the 3 years to then keep the car. I thought that the gfv would be a fair price that would make it worthwhile – am I just in an unfortunate position, or is the dealer making out that it is not worth buying out the car and taking out another PCP offer (which I won’t) ?

I am meeting the dealer this week to understand the numbers - has anyone else faced this situation before ?
    Last edited by kaiser78; 23 May 2016, 12:10.

I'd check your paperwork - the point of a GFV is that it is guaranteed.
    ...unless you have gone over the mileage, not had it serviced etc.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Can we have this in English please? PCP, GFV? If Google doesn't have a clue, what chance for the rest of us mere mortals?
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        Can we have this in English please? PCP, GFV? If Google doesn't have a clue, what chance for the rest of us mere mortals?

If you don't know what they are you are probably not going to be much help

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          First search results page on google - https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=pcp+gfv brings up lots of clear definitions.
          The post I guess then is more for the car experts...

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            I'd check your paperwork - the point of a GFV is that it is guaranteed.
            ...unless you have gone over the mileage, not had it serviced etc.
            that's what I thought - so how can the dealer say I owe more at the end of the 3 years? It doesn't seem right.

Comment

I thought gfv is the same as what is owed at the end of the term ?
              No. Of course it isn't. That's where your problem lies.

GFV is what they'll use as a trade-in price for a new car.

For a start, you're paying a hefty finance fee. It would make no financial sense for the dealer to just charge you the car value and ignore the finance costs.

Comment

Pickup phone ----> Ring dealer now ------> Question answered.

Jeez, what's wrong with people these days? Is it a Facebook generation thing?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                  First search results page on google - https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=pcp+gfv brings up lots of clear definitions.
                  The post I guess then is more for the car experts...
                  You agreed to GFV which will be honored by them i guess? It wasnt said that car might be of higher value. What you can do , if you think you can get more, try selling it privately and buy PCP out.

Comment

The GFV is a hedge for both parties. It would make no sense (even ignoring the finance costs I mentioned before) for it to be particularly realistic.

Comment

Working...
                    X